Drum sander and dust collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum sander and dust collection

After a long couple of days resawing a new supply of wood, and trying to get it sanded with the dying drum sander and non-functional dust collection system down at the community shop, Joe and I are more seriously considering getting the mid-sized Jet. We think we can make space for it if we really try, but are concerned about dust collection.

Although most people opt for a dust collection system that can be connected to several tools, we don't have that option. We've been using a good shop vac attached individually to each tool--band saw, spindle sander, vertical sander, drill press, adapting the ports as needed. We've been pretty satisfied with the results. Now, here's my question:

Does anyone have an idea of the actual drawing power of the typical home shop dust collection for any one of the various tools connected to it, assuming that the gates are properly closed? And how that compares to a shop vac connected to one tool? Has anyone used a shop vac with a drum sander?

We are putting off purchase until the spring, when we won't need the garage for the car and have time to rearrange things, but would appreciate anyone's experience/knowledge about this. Thanks.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Almost everything I have is on a mobile base. So I use portable dust collection and have come up with a good method for what I do. I have a smaller dust collector from Penn State Industries that I will provide a link for. Also a picture of the shoot I put together for use with drum sanders and mop's. I also have a larger dust collector that I use for the planer and Performax drum sander. This is a 2 stage collector with a lot more CFM rating. Hope this helps you out.
    Link: 1.5HP DC3 Portable Dust Collector with 1 Micron Bag at Penn State Industries

and picture hopefully.
    Attached Files

Comment

I am currently investigating the new Jet Vortex with the pleated filter. It is on wheels. I am not a big fan of the shop vac for dust collection. The filters load up very quickly with the fine dust.
      I currently have a smaller Jet 650 cfm dust collector that I drag around to all my tools. I am getting the second one just to dedicate to the sanding machines.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Carole, glad to see you started this post as I have been considering some kind of dust collection system too..so I will definetly follow this post. I moved most of my sanding equipment to one bench and use a shop vac too...but it just doesn't keep the air as clear as I would like and like Rolf the fine dust/filter issue is a real pain!

Question tho...please excuse my memory issues...I thought I had read where you had bought a Sand Flee awhile back ago...or was that someone else? The reason I am asking, is I really need another method for squaring up small stock for segmentation/laminations projects. I am using my combo (belt & disc) sander and it just is not giving me the quality I want. So any insight on a drum sander (Sand Flee or other type) would be greatly appreciated since you work with smaller laminations too. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post, but they kinda go hand in hand.
        ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Since I've gotten the "Dust Deputy" my shop vac really sucks! Hey that is a good thing. It works like nobodies business and does not add any more noise to my shop than I already had, it is a little clunky to drag around but a small price to pay. I have not permanently attached it yet as I was uncertain if I wanted to do that but I now know it is something to be done in the near future.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory....-1E06240A24A4}
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hi Carole
            I have the Jet 10"/20" sander and use it with a shop vac using the bag collection, and it works well. I opened it the other day to see how full the bag was and the filter looked brand new. The bag was over half full, but not yet time to change it out. I am using the regular bag, and there is also one for very fine dust such as sanding drywall and such. I believe this vac moves about 600 CFM. I used the same system in Alaska this summer with good success. A real dust collector would be around 750 CFM and up. There is a dust collector for the band saw, and it still does not get it all.

I got the smaller Jet because I can move it unaided and because I do not expect to need over a 20" wide work piece. After a year the largest piece was around 18".
            Terry
            Got Moose?

Comment

Terry, have you been satisfied with your Jet? I had not read many positive reviews, and was concerned. Would appreciate hearing about your experience.

And thanks everyone for your input. I think that in the spring we'll get a drum sander for our shop (unless the community shop gets its act together, which is not very likely) and see if the shop vac is adequate. If not, we'll get one of the dust collection systems that we can fit. Maybe we'll just give up and use our livingroom . . . . .
              Carole

Comment

Yes, very satisfied. It takes some use to learn. The paper goes on easily, but... The paper is stiff enough than it will tend to leave a wrinkle on the inboard side. You just have to get the tail all the way in and be able to tug on it a bit. The old story, string is better pulled than pushed. It just takes some practice.

You also need to adjust the drum section so it is square. I use a reference board and draw a pencil line across it and then adjust the drum until it evenly removes the pencil line. I also use a socket style allen or hex wrench to tighten the set screws.

The motor has an overload to shut off the sanding drum and when I trip it I immediately turn off the drum power and let the feed motor continue. by the time the board comes out it is usually ready to go again.

Aligning the feed takes a while, just a lot of small adjustments. Have not touched it in months and seems to hold the adjustment well.

It has a small footprint and I can move it by myself. It mounts nicely on a Harbor Freight tool stand. It works very well on the boards I use, mostly under 4' long and 8" to 18" wide. It will square a board but it may take a lot of passes.

Hope I answered your questions. If not, ask away. Grizzly has a 10" model as well for a bit less.
                Terry
                Got Moose?

Comment

Thanks, Terry. We've had experience with the big 18-36 Grizzly down at the community shop, which will not hold it's adjustment anymore. Every 10 passes or so you have to loosen the feed belt, shove it all the way over, tighten it up, and start over. And we've had to attach paper to clips that were distorted out of shape beyond belief. We're still hoping that someone will see fit to replace it.

So I'm aware that these machines are far from perfect, but I really can't do without one, and I appreciate your response. Will keep everyone posted when final decisions are made.
                  Carole

Comment

Carole

I have been looking at drum sanders also the reviews on the Jet/Performax are better that the Grizzly models. I have 2 of the Jet dust collectors one is 500 CFM with the bag filter and the other is a 650 CFM with the 1 micron pleated filter. Either one works well on my belt/disc sander. I am not sure how well a shop vac would work even if you have a shop vac rated at 600+ CFM. The rating is designed for that size hose which is usually a little over 2" so when you adapt to a 4" connection I would think it would lose a lot of power.
                    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Carol ,I have a four inch. central system as well as 16 gal shop vac,as well as a diy 6" on my 788 .seals and leaks and gates are the killers of any system .I only use dry wall bags in all but the central system,they will stop any dust ! A central system is a real pain ,finding room to route ducts, gates ,drops ,flex connections ,y's .splits etc. then placement of equipment to allow access to
                      work eats up a lot of space .I ended up limiting the central to my powermatic
                      table saw and a short tree vertical pipe six ' w/ 3 gates and 2 caps.then I roll planers , sanding machine ,router table to the tree for use ,when not needed
                      move back to storage area .long runs ,tool placement ,major expense and limits
                      unless you are using every day didn't work for me ,all those connections ,any leak ,caused problem s and major messes.I changed mine around several times
                      because of accessability issues . shop lay out and room are key.Just my experience and I have 1300 sq. ft plus adjasant storage .bear in mind I do other
                      things beside scroll work.
                      Hope you find something in here that you can use!
                      My very best to you!
                      Carl
                      "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                      Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Carole:
                        Was sanding today and thought of this tread. I trashed a roll or two of paper being too aggressive. In using 60 grit the paper is somewhat rigid and fails on the inboard side. Need to get it more securely into the clamp with less play in the sanding roll. Or you can just avoid the inboard side and sand away. That inboard clamp and the paper tension will be a real problem. Some rolls will work fine and others will drive you nuts. I think it is a learning curve rather than a defect, and I think I need to learn quicker. Your mileage may vary.
                        Terry

I somehow just don't care, as I get my material custom milled and it is not something you can buy anywhere else in the world. And it suits my customer expectations. And I find the end product quite pleasing. Anyway, I may not have emphasized this enough earlier and did not want to mislead you.

I work with raw log live edge birch cut in about 1/4" slices which I dry and then sand smooth. After removing the saw marks and such I usually end up with around 1/8".
                        Got Moose?

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Certainly gives me a lot to work with.

At present, we'll use the shop's tool over the winter, which gives us a chance to get real good at changing the paper and using those fidgety clamps. In the spring, if the situation hasn't changed (maybe they'll fix the one in the shop) we'll probably go with the 16-32 Jet, find room, and figure out a dust collection that will be adequate. I like using our own resawn wood, since I can match the pieces within a project, and I use the sander for my glue-ups and laminations.

And I know I can always buy the milled stock if our job isn't adequate.
                          Carole

Comment

I have a delta drum sander and even the largest shop vacs can't keep up with the dust. I recomend a dust collector with at least a 4" suction pipe, you can always reduce down at the other tools if needed. Just watch out for static electricity by running a small ground wire taped to the side of the pipes and grounded well.

sully

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X