X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly looking at buying a scroll saw

Dewalt Scroll Saw-needs work - $50
    Dewalt Scroll Saw-needs work - $50
    Dewalt 20" Scroll Saw with stand. Original price $450.
    Currently non-functioning but a Dewalt authorized mechanic will fix for minimal cost (the most they could charge is $200 but the issue is likely very simple).

I'll have to get it fixed but the closest authorized DeWalt mechanic is only 3.5 miles away or 12 mins so it's not a problem. The seller doesn't mention whether it's the Type 1 Canadian model or Type 2 Taiwanese model. Emailed the seller yesterday asking which type it is and haven't gotten a response yet.

Don't know how much it would cost to repair it but the Guaranteed Repair Cost is $259.99 which includes:
    Complete teardown inspection
    Thorough cleaning & lubrication
    Replacement of worn & damaged parts
    Full performance & safety test

So worst case scenario, I spend an extra $260 to fix it.

Is it worth it or should I try and look for a working model?

I know the type 1 Canadian version is better, but does that mean I should avoid it if it's a type 2 Taiwanese version?
    Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 11-26-2011, 10:38 PM.
    DeWalt DW788 Type 1

The most common failures seem to be related to the on/off switch or a fuse. A lightly used Type I would cost $250 or so, maybe a bit less. All depends on the local situation.

Call, ask a few questions. Unless an arm fell off or it shook itself silly, it may well be a wonderful deal.
    Got Moose?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Jay View Post
      The most common failures seem to be related to the on/off switch or a fuse. A lightly used Type I would cost $250 or so, maybe a bit less. All depends on the local situation.

Call, ask a few questions. Unless an arm fell off or it shook itself silly, it may well be a wonderful deal.

My only concern is the negative comments geared toward this scroll saw on this forum. Is that something that should deter me from buying the saw?
      DeWalt DW788 Type 1

Comment

My concern with DeWalt is that they seem to not last long. I had a type 2 that lasted 20 months before literally falling apart, internally. They cut well and blade changes are easy and run smooth. I got rid of mine and now have a Hegner.
        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I have been using my DeWalt 788 for the past 8 years without any trouble and would highly recommend getting it repaired. It is well worth it. As for the negative comments you see, I don't care what the brand name is or how much it costs, you will ALWAYS find some who don't like it. You need to make your own evaluation. I can tell you this, there are a heck of a lot more positive comments than negative. All my club members, about 30, have and use DeWalt 788's. Good luck on your decision. Bob S

Comment

I'd be all over that like flies on a cow pie unless the frame, table or arm assembly looked bent out of shape

worst case scenario, you have a refurbished Dewalt for 300, maybe not a chest thumping steal but not bad if you need/want a Dewalt

best case, you tweak the switch (swish it in rubbing alcohol, shake it out and let it dry overnight), fix a fuse etc etc and have a working machine, a Dewalt for 50 bucks

just my opinion, but I'm the kind of guy that takes apart brand new tools just to see what's in there and if I can alter it for the better

Comment

I've emailed the seller 4 times and did not get a response. The ad is still visible, so that means:

he sold it and didn't remove the listing
              doesn't check his email and has not sold it
              has changed his mind about selling it and doesn't remove the listing

So at this point should I keep looking for a used DeWalt or maybe go with the Porter Cable or Craftsman or even Shop Fox?
              Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 12-01-2011, 09:48 AM.
              DeWalt DW788 Type 1

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X