BAND SAWS (any opinions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAND SAWS (any opinions)

Looks like Santa wants to get me the bandsaw I need for my shop. Not knowing much about them and getting so conflicted reading reviews, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on JET vs. Rikon. I will be using the saw mostly to resaw wood. The models I was looking at was the Jet JWBS 14DX Pro and Rikon 10-325. They are both in the 800-900 dollar range with the weekend sales so I want to make a decision very soon before the sales end.

The Jet model has the 12" resaw so no riser block is needed. The Rikon is 13 1/2 resaw. No fence with the Jet but also read the fence with Rikon not too good for resaw. Thats about all know. Any help or opinions are appreciated. I would like to stay around this price range.

I have the Grizzly g0555x and absolutely love it.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Had a Jet 14" for years and loved it. Grizzly has some great products too and I would start by checking them out. The main thing you need to be concerned about is horse power. Resawing is a slow process that requires lots of power, particularly with stock that is extremely wide. Also please remember the best saw in the world will preform poorly without a good blade. Spend the extra $$ and get an excellent blade. It will can make the task an enjoyment instead of a chore.
      Kip

Scrollin' with an Ex-21

http://eco-friendly-woodworks.com/

I WAITED patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
      He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay,
      And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.
      He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
      Many will see and fear
      And will trust in the Lord.
      Psalm 40:1-3

Comment

Congratulations on the new tool. Really happy for you.
        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
        Desert Woodcrafters
        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

We have a 14" Powermatic, which was just a little more money than the Jet, but as I recall, the 14" Jet only had a one HP motor and the Powermatic 1-1/2. It came with a free riser block, and has been fine for re-sawing with an auxiliary fence and a 3/4" blade.

Likelihood is that whichever saw you choose, the fence will not be a good one, and you'll need to get some good blades right from the start.

Good luck with your new tool! Re-sawing is a really good way to cut down on wood cost.
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Power and depth are the issues. If you do raw edge blanks, 13" is a huge difference from 12". If you re-saw lumber, no big deal. More power, better cuts. You may have a choice of 110 or 220, and go with 220 if your situation permits.

A good resaw fence that is adjustable for drift will be needed, and a resaw blade. Maybe adds $150 to the cost, including shipping and some allowance for tax.
            Got Moose?

Comment

Thank you all for your tips. I fully expected to have to purchase a better fence and good blade aside from what comes with whatever machine I get. Who actually makes a really good fence and blade for RESAWING?

Comment

Just like Mike I have the Grizzly and love it. With any 14" saw you will want the riser kit. For all my resawing I use Wood Slicer blades from Highland Woodworking.

Wood Slicer Bandsaw Blade | Custom Length Bandsaw Blades
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have this one Buy Jet 18 Bandsaw with Quick Tension 3HP 1Ph Model JWBS-18QT-3 at Woodcraft
                  Nothing slows it down. I was looking at Grizzly saws when I bought this and decided to go with the Jet because I can go to the store and buy blades for it, the Grizzly saws use a different blade size and you will have to order them because most stores will not stock them.
                  Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm going to have to stick with a saw in the 1 1/2 HP range and 110 volts/20 amp line. I don't have the room for these bigger machines and the electrical for the larger HP. The two models I listed in my first post don't need a riser kit. They are two 14" saws that have 12" and 13 1/2" height capicity.

Comment

I just looked at videos for bothe of the saws you are looking at. I have 1.5 HP on my delta and it has plenty of beef with a good blade I have cut 12" Honduran mahogany without a problem.
                      Both have great features such as built in riser, roller guides etc. all things I added after the fact on my saw. The Jet has no fence The Rikon does, but I would put on a Kreg or something of that quality any way.
                      I have several Jet products and am very happy with them, I am not familiar with Rikon.
                      I would try to read as many online reviews as possible.
                      I lean towards the Jet as I like the dust port location and their track record with my existing tools plus green would clash with my other tools. But I think either one would be a great addition to your shop.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks so much Rolf. I definitely do value your opinion and input on stuff like this. I'm going to do some more reading up and want to make a decision by tomorrow because some of these sales end on Monday I believe.

Comment

If your are still looking, here is the Reviewed Products by Category @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community master index of product reviews at Lumberjocks. Have a look at what others think.
                          Terry
                          Got Moose?

Comment

Thanks so much for that link Terry. Lots of good info and reviews there. I've done a lot of research and read tons of reviews on the Jet and Rikon 14" in the past few days. The reviews I read in your link pretty much solidified the direction I was going in. Although you probably can't go too wrong with either saw, I think I'm going with the Rikon. Customers who own that saw seem to be very happy with their purchase. I will now have to figure who makes a real good bandsaw blade, especially for resawing. The fence I will have to see about. Some people seem to feel it was fine, others got an aftermarket one.

Comment

Timberwolf blades are great and Bob is a sales rep. talk to him at the Christmas party.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                                Reply to My computer issues.
                                by Quartz43
                                Glad things worked out.

I just updated my older PC. The hard drive was 500 gb and eight years old. I cloned it to a one TB SSD (solid state drive). Put the cloned drive in and worked perfectly with all my old programs. The computer is now much faster. The new drive was about $100 and...
                                Today, 05:02 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Need suggestions or a bit of guidance
                                by NC Scroller
                                You nailed it.👍
                                Today, 04:03 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to A new toy.
                                by NC Scroller
                                Once upon a time ( in the 70's) i attempted bow hunting. I believe the bow had a 45 pound draw. I quickly learned that it was not for me. It takes lot of hard work and practice just to be fair at it. Good is a whole different level. I hope you do better than I did.
                                Today, 04:02 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to A new toy.
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Now that's a cool way to maintain hand/eye coordination. Enjoy that toy--- and--- HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL THE DADS OUT THERE!
                                Today, 01:30 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to My computer issues.
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                So glad you are back up and running. You will be awed by the speed of your new drive, fresh drivers, and cleaned up files. Spring housecleaning!
                                Today, 01:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X