BAND SAWS (any opinions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAND SAWS (any opinions)

Looks like Santa wants to get me the bandsaw I need for my shop. Not knowing much about them and getting so conflicted reading reviews, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on JET vs. Rikon. I will be using the saw mostly to resaw wood. The models I was looking at was the Jet JWBS 14DX Pro and Rikon 10-325. They are both in the 800-900 dollar range with the weekend sales so I want to make a decision very soon before the sales end.

The Jet model has the 12" resaw so no riser block is needed. The Rikon is 13 1/2 resaw. No fence with the Jet but also read the fence with Rikon not too good for resaw. Thats about all know. Any help or opinions are appreciated. I would like to stay around this price range.

I have the Grizzly g0555x and absolutely love it.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Had a Jet 14" for years and loved it. Grizzly has some great products too and I would start by checking them out. The main thing you need to be concerned about is horse power. Resawing is a slow process that requires lots of power, particularly with stock that is extremely wide. Also please remember the best saw in the world will preform poorly without a good blade. Spend the extra $$ and get an excellent blade. It will can make the task an enjoyment instead of a chore.
      Kip

Scrollin' with an Ex-21

http://eco-friendly-woodworks.com/

I WAITED patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
      He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay,
      And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.
      He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
      Many will see and fear
      And will trust in the Lord.
      Psalm 40:1-3

Comment

Congratulations on the new tool. Really happy for you.
        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
        Desert Woodcrafters
        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

We have a 14" Powermatic, which was just a little more money than the Jet, but as I recall, the 14" Jet only had a one HP motor and the Powermatic 1-1/2. It came with a free riser block, and has been fine for re-sawing with an auxiliary fence and a 3/4" blade.

Likelihood is that whichever saw you choose, the fence will not be a good one, and you'll need to get some good blades right from the start.

Good luck with your new tool! Re-sawing is a really good way to cut down on wood cost.
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Power and depth are the issues. If you do raw edge blanks, 13" is a huge difference from 12". If you re-saw lumber, no big deal. More power, better cuts. You may have a choice of 110 or 220, and go with 220 if your situation permits.

A good resaw fence that is adjustable for drift will be needed, and a resaw blade. Maybe adds $150 to the cost, including shipping and some allowance for tax.
            Got Moose?

Comment

Thank you all for your tips. I fully expected to have to purchase a better fence and good blade aside from what comes with whatever machine I get. Who actually makes a really good fence and blade for RESAWING?

Comment

Just like Mike I have the Grizzly and love it. With any 14" saw you will want the riser kit. For all my resawing I use Wood Slicer blades from Highland Woodworking.

Wood Slicer Bandsaw Blade | Custom Length Bandsaw Blades
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have this one Buy Jet 18 Bandsaw with Quick Tension 3HP 1Ph Model JWBS-18QT-3 at Woodcraft
                  Nothing slows it down. I was looking at Grizzly saws when I bought this and decided to go with the Jet because I can go to the store and buy blades for it, the Grizzly saws use a different blade size and you will have to order them because most stores will not stock them.
                  Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm going to have to stick with a saw in the 1 1/2 HP range and 110 volts/20 amp line. I don't have the room for these bigger machines and the electrical for the larger HP. The two models I listed in my first post don't need a riser kit. They are two 14" saws that have 12" and 13 1/2" height capicity.

Comment

I just looked at videos for bothe of the saws you are looking at. I have 1.5 HP on my delta and it has plenty of beef with a good blade I have cut 12" Honduran mahogany without a problem.
                      Both have great features such as built in riser, roller guides etc. all things I added after the fact on my saw. The Jet has no fence The Rikon does, but I would put on a Kreg or something of that quality any way.
                      I have several Jet products and am very happy with them, I am not familiar with Rikon.
                      I would try to read as many online reviews as possible.
                      I lean towards the Jet as I like the dust port location and their track record with my existing tools plus green would clash with my other tools. But I think either one would be a great addition to your shop.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks so much Rolf. I definitely do value your opinion and input on stuff like this. I'm going to do some more reading up and want to make a decision by tomorrow because some of these sales end on Monday I believe.

Comment

If your are still looking, here is the Reviewed Products by Category @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community master index of product reviews at Lumberjocks. Have a look at what others think.
                          Terry
                          Got Moose?

Comment

Thanks so much for that link Terry. Lots of good info and reviews there. I've done a lot of research and read tons of reviews on the Jet and Rikon 14" in the past few days. The reviews I read in your link pretty much solidified the direction I was going in. Although you probably can't go too wrong with either saw, I think I'm going with the Rikon. Customers who own that saw seem to be very happy with their purchase. I will now have to figure who makes a real good bandsaw blade, especially for resawing. The fence I will have to see about. Some people seem to feel it was fine, others got an aftermarket one.

Comment

Timberwolf blades are great and Bob is a sales rep. talk to him at the Christmas party.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X