Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axminster - scrollsaw - ¨¨fretsaw

Dears;
    I want to buy a scrollsaw, and I am living in Europe.
    Is there anyone who has tried the axminster AWFS18.
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/2/p...etsaw32495.htm

It looks a lot like a Hegner scrollsaw.

Hi and welcome to the forum .

I quite agree - the saw looks a lot like my Hegner 2 with variable speed. By the way, I found this link worked better than yours. I've seen the exploded parts diagram for this machine although I've never seen the actual saw - if you were to buy a few accessories from Hegner for a further £25 (I think they'd be compatible) then in theory you'd have quite a nifty and relatively inexpensive machine.

Taffy Turner was debating if he should go for the AWFS18 or the Delta equivalent. I believe that in the end he opted for the Delta because he was a newcomer to scrolling and didn't want to 'mix and match' saw components before he'd learned the basics. However, if you've already got experience of using a scrollsaw, I think the AWFS18 might be a more acceptable option.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Dear Gill

As a matter of fact I have already a Hegner multicut 2. But I would like to buy a multicut 2SE, but it is rather expensive comparing with the Axminster.
      Can you plase tell which accessories from Axminster sholud be changed with Hegner (for a further £25 ) ?

Furthermore please let me know if you hear from someone who has tried this fretsaw.
      I know Axminster from their lathes, which are of very high quality.

By the way I am living in Denmark and the delivery from England to Denmark for such a heavy fretsaw would also cost a lot.

Thanks
      Afshin

Comment

Hi Afshin

I'm afraid I've never seen the AWFS18 myself, nor do I know of anyone who has.

Of course, the AWFS18 saw should be usable as supplied; but in my opinion, spending approximately £25 on an authentic Hegner Quick-Release Blade Clamp, spare blade clamps and a clock key would probably give much faster blade changes than the Axminster hex wrench supplied with the saw. This opinion is only based on my interpretation of the exploded parts diagramme, though.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X