Seyco Sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seyco Sander

Can someone give me their opinion on this sander. I'm just starting intarsia projects. Right now I'm using an oscillating spindle sander to rough in the shape and then hand sanding. Very time consuming.

Harold

I have the General Tool sander with flex drums from Seyco. It is designed for intarsia. Runs at 1750 rpm which is perfect for the purpose. I can't imagine doing intarsia without it. I know a lot of folks put the flex drums on drill presses but I can't handle vertical sanding. I wouldn't hesitate if I were you. I've never had a problem with the sander, the drums are inexpensive and easily replaced. Mine is set up with a flex drum on the right and a sanding mop on the left. I use my oscillating spindle sander for shaping deep curves such as animal ears and for removing a lot of wood while maintaining curves.

Jan

Comment

Or if you have a bench grinder, you can also convert it to a sander by using their sanding kit they sell with the adapter shaft. Since I never hardly used my bench grinder this is what I did. I got the idea when I went to take a Judy Gale Roberts intarsia class. She has them all over the shop.

Comment

I use it on bowls. The flex shaft is good for getting into the interiors when needed. Also found their mini flex drums and cup sanders work well. Have also used it for shaping segmentations. You will need some dust control.
        Got Moose?

Comment

It works very well. I got one at a scroll saw show a year ago and had some problems with the drums being out of round. Ray @ seyco took those back and sent me new ones which work just fine. Now the drums are a little larger than before so they are even better.

I used them at Judy's workshop. She has 8-inch variable speed grinders set up for the students to use with those sanders.

I got a Crafstman 8-inch variable speed grinder, stripped all the grinder parts off it and use the sanders on that. Here is a picture - the wheel, on the right is a wonder wheel, not a grindstone.
          Attached Files
          The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

I used the Seyco alot and loved them.... but had some trouble with them being out of balance, I decided to buy the inflatable type from Klingspore based on some comments by Rolf? about the inflatable 's being softer in another post and Wow! I'll never use anything else! I now consider the Seyco to be a good starter. And I still use them when I want to take off some large areas quick. But change when I want to do some finer sanding
            Jerry
            Life's funny if you laugh at it!

http://dedijerry.blogspot.com/
            http://www.etsy.com/shop/DediWoodworks

Comment

tgiro,
              what is a wonder wheel?? I looked it up and got strange results. Nothing about woodwork.
              I'm not an intarsia-ist yet. I have to make an investment in dust collection, plus shaping tools, so it's a ways down the road....
              I like your little set up.
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim, check out www.intarsia.com in the hardware part. There's a lot of info about the wonder wheel there. It's a fiber wheel that can be dressed to a sharp point and used for adding features to intarsia.

Jan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X