Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detail sanders

Hello All,
    I did a search on this subject but nothing came up. Any way I need a detail sander, I never had one before. I went looking at Lowe's today and found that they are all pretty much the same price. So is there one better than the others for what us scroller's need. thanks for your input. Karl

I have 2 quarter sheet palm sanders I like my dewalt better than my craftsman. It has a soft start and the clamps to hold down the paper is easier to use.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Karl, I bought one of these from HF. It came only with the plunge blade. When I need it as a sander I wrap the end of the blade with strips cut from self adhesive sanding disks.
      Works like a champ

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-68303.html
      Last edited by oily; 11-21-2011, 07:44 AM. Reason: opps forgot the link
      May the wind at you back .....
      Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
        I have 2 quarter sheet palm sanders I like my dewalt better than my craftsman. It has a soft start and the clamps to hold down the paper is easier to use.
        I've got the craftsman and got sick of fighting with the clamps.. I use 5 or 6" self adhesive sanding disks on it. Lot's easier.
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I was wanting to get into really small tight corners and such. I have a orbital sander already. It just ain't small enough.
          Last edited by kardar2; 11-20-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

My Metabo detail sander has been good and reliable and, as you say, gets into tight corners.

Rhys

Comment

I use a Black and Decker mouse.

Comment

I bought the Fein Multimaster years ago when they the only game in town. If I were buying it now I would probably go with the Portercable Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
                It has a tool less release which my Fein does not. It has become my go to tool for many houshold projects.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Got the Dremel version from Lowes. 99$ - but I had a $10 dollar coupon.

Shop Dremel 2.3-Amp MultiMax Tool Kit at Lowes.com
                  The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Like Rolf, I bought a Fein, but mine is only a year old. It has a tool less release lever and unlike the Dremel, it is pricy. But it is very well made and much more solid then any other multi tool on the market. Like Rolf, I use mine all the time and it does a very nice job on whatever task I may need done. I replaced a piece of flooring, right in the middle of the floor and after living with the defect for about 20 years, my wife can not tell which maple board I replaced. It did cut straight and neat.

As for the detail sander, besides the triangular attachment, it has a neat holder that you can put one of five profiled attachments (concave, convex, thin slice, flat... It's quite a solid tool and I'm sure one of my 4 sons will inherit it for their many, many years. I always look at tools as an investment and I've done jobs I never dreamed of doing with my Fein... like replacing an "S" curved molding under my last step and sanding it down smooth.
                    It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

Originally posted by loftyhermes View Post
                      I use a Black and Decker mouse.
                      It's the Mouse that I use also in those tight spots .........
                      Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

....I also use a B & D mouse.an old type... has hook and loop fastening..the pointed end gets into almost any small corner and as the pad has a gradual widening its also good for larger project areas . My mouse is about 6-8 years old and very small and light weight. the osscilations are NOT radical which allows for tight corner sanding without slapping the sides of the project......have not seen that model in stores recently....seems like they replaced it with a heavier and more bulky model which is NOT ( in my estimation) as nicely designed as the 1st production models. can't find the model # on the sander.....sorry

Comment

Don't know what size sander you are looking for but this may fit the bill.......
                          Sander / Filer Set, 110v AC
                          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

The Black & Decker mouse sander is at a price of $18.99 with a rebate of $9.00 making it $9.99 at Menards right now. This is as inexpensive as I have seen them. My previous mouse sander lasted nine years and had been dropped on the concrete floor several times. It finally quit. Dan

Comment

I found this.... Has any one used it ? looks just like what I am looking forSears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by Chuck Hans
                                Congrats on all accounts,
                                I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
                                Today, 08:51 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                                Today, 03:36 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                                Today, 02:56 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by NC Scroller
                                I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                                Today, 11:24 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by NC Scroller
                                Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                                Today, 11:18 AM
                              Working...
                              X