What is a good small drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good small drill press

I have a HEAVY Shopfox 3/4hp drill press with oscillator and I can not even move it. I'm going to give it to my son who has more room. I need a small drill press that I can stow away when not in use. Does anyone have experience and reccomendation for a pretty good portable drill press?

Thanks,
    Regis
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Hi Regis - I was using a Dremel (Dremel Workstation: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools), quite happily until someone on here pointed out using the Dremel plunge router attachment and you don't need to move the wood, just slide the thing along wherever you need the holes - works for me. (Dremel Plunge Router Attachment: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools)
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayo Farmer View Post
      Hi Regis - I was using a Dremel (Dremel Workstation: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools), quite happily until someone on here pointed out using the Dremel plunge router attachment and you don't need to move the wood, just slide the thing along wherever you need the holes - works for me. (Dremel Plunge Router Attachment: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools)
      Now that is pretty nifty. I have a Foredom hand piece and don't think it will fit. Might be worth buying a dremel though. I still have to drill with Forestner for little clock movements though.

Thanks
      Regis

Comment

Here is one that is tough to beat for the money. Find a 20% off coupon online and this is a steal. You have a Harbor Freight just East of Nashville.

Bob

Comment

Bob, Yes I'm familiar with that HF less than 10mi from me. I've bought both good and trash there. And if you've had good luck with this drill press, I'll go for it.

Thanks,
          Regis

Comment

I believe I have this drill press. Actually an earlier version. I bought it about 10 years ago and it's still running. I've replaced the belt once and the chuck key is wearing a bit. I use it pretty much exclusively for drilling starter holes. It's been subjected to a bit of moisture in the past, but it's held up well.

I have another drill press on my workbench that holds a sanding wheel. If I had the room and money I'd buy another with another grit sanding wheel.

Give it a go.

Karl
            Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

I purchased a cheap Craftsman a few months ago. It looks somewhat similar to the HF. Read some of the reviews on it. Some users had issues with the chuck wobbling after installing it. I just took my time assembling the whole drill press. And in the few months I have owned it it has served my well.

Bill
              Bill

Dewalt 788 Type 1

Comment

I have used A Ryobi from Home Depot for over 10years now and never had any problems wit it. Model DP102L.
                I used hole saws and forester bits with it and it works great, even attach sanding mops to it.

Comment

Originally posted by RegisG View Post
                  Bob, Yes I'm familiar with that HF less than 10mi from me. I've bought both good and trash there. And if you've had good luck with this drill press, I'll go for it.

Thanks,
                  Regis
                  I do not own one of these, but a neighbor does. He has had his for a few years with no problems. For hobby work it should last a lifetime. Now, if you are going to start drilling 3/4" holes in 1" plate.... a different story.

For the money and the HF liberal return policy I do not see how you can lose.

Bob

Comment

I have the HF bench top as well. I wish I could get a bigger one. Sometimes the 4" limitation is a drag.
                    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                    Desert Woodcrafters
                    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X