What Planer do you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Planer do you use

I am thinking of buying a new 3 blade 13" planer. I have looked a several of them and just wanted to ask what some of you use and how do you like them. Do the blades last a long time, easy change of the blades, how loud is the machine when running, does it have a dust chute
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Larry I have a Grizzly 15" Planer 2 HP the older model - new one's are 3 HP . Now I've had it for over 5 years now and still love it , had a friend that had this same planer and I used it first and was hooked so I went and ordered me one . If your careful and not run any nails threw it you'll be surprized how long it'll go without having the blades sharpened . I decided when it was getting close for them to be sharpened I brought a extra set of blades where I'd always have a sharp set handy ......mine have a easy change blades and it come with the tools to line them up .............my two cents worth ......MB: smile_old:
    Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Larry

I have the Rigid 13" planer and it is okay but not great. Blade changes are not bad but the tool that comes with it for changing blades is a joke. I have tried adjusting everything I could but for some reason I cannot get rid of the snipe. I have seen some models have a lock which keeps the cutting head from raising while cutting. It does have a dust chute and it will connect to the 4" dust collector hose or you can use the adapter that comes with it to connect to a shop vac. Using either the DC or the shop vac I would highly recommend a chip separator because it will clog without one. The machine is kind of loud. When I decide to upgrade I will look for one with the spiral cutting head because the cut is much cleaner than with the 3 blades.
      Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

I have an older 12" delta . When I purchased it I was not aware of a snipe problem .To compensate for the snipe you can hot glue strips on either side of the board allowing them to stick out a couple of inchs on each end .The only problem now is you have to cut waste wood .

I would look for a planer with self adjusting blade alignment and a snipe lock .

I have not had to change blades yet so I'm not sure of the difficulties with alignment.

Roger

Comment

I have the Dewalt 735. I love it. It has an excelent chip removal system.
          A very powerful blower that inflates my dust collector without turning the collector on.
          . I bought mine as a package with the extensions and stand.
          They are all loud and I wear ear protection when running it as I do when routing.
          Blade life depends on the wood you are planing. Blade change is very easy. The blades are 2 sided and pinned. a T handle is proved with magnets in the handle for picking up the blades.
          Last edited by Rolf; 11-19-2011, 08:44 AM.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I am with Rolf. A Dewalt 735. I got the DW7353 chip collector plus the stand and extensions with mine. The DW7353 fits a standard 20 or so gallon trash can and contains all of the chips and most of the dust.

The blades that came with mine were excellent for longevity until I tried planing several 10d gun nails.

Bob

Comment

I am with Rolf I have that DeWalt also and like it.
              Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I have an older 2 blade dewalt(733), but i think it does a great job,blade changes are fast and easy......It is pretty loud tho ,use hearing protection for sure

Comment

I have an older Delta like Ramjet

Bob
                  Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I have a cheapy, GMC. It has given great service and I have gone through three sets of blades and it's still going strong.
                    It's as loud as all hell, so ear muffs are a must. I don't think much can be done about the noise created by thicknessers as it is generated more by the blades striking the timber rather than the motor.
                    Regards
                    John
                    "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
                    Some of my Stuff
                    Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                      The bags seem easier on the surface.
                      But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                      Today, 03:24 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                      by will8989
                      Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                      Today, 10:32 AM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      by Sandy Oaks
                      As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                      Today, 09:46 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                      by NC Scroller
                      I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                      Today, 07:42 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      by NC Scroller
                      I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                      Today, 07:39 AM
                    Working...
                    X