Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion band saw

Champion band saw?
    I'm going to look at a used band saw tomorrow. It is a Champion, model M1401. I have no idea of it's age but assume it's older. Info about it is hard to come by online but I've seen two of these on Craigslist in the past week.

Can't find a single mention of a Champion band saw searching here on this forum or on Google. Anyone know this brand or what kind of quality to expect. (Also don't want to drive over an hour if I'm just going to look at junk.)

Thanks for any input.

-Bill
    -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Here are some interesting links for you.
    VintageMachinery.org - Photo Index - Champion Blower & Forge Co. - 14 in Band Saw

Champion appears to be a Canadian Company and they deal primarily in portable saw mills. The bandsaws appear to have been made back in the 50's. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm sure if it works it probably will be a rugged machine.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Bill

My only concern would be: Can you get parts for it? I tried doing a little searching but did not come up with much either. Old Woodworking Machines has a couple of posts on them. Mike already found the Vintage Machinery site. If I find anything else I'll keep you posted.
      Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

I don't think I would worry too much about parts. You can most likely find things you may ever need on the shelf or easy to modify into cooperation
        We used to put big block chevy engines in Ford Pinto's. Can't be any worse than that.
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Got a new (to me) bandsaw

Well, guys, I finally went to see that Champion bandsaw today. I was not just junk it was a heavy duty 14"er. I tried it out and it cuts like butter with a 2X4. I went a head and bought it and the guy had a brand new blade on it. I think this will fit in fine in my shop and will give me good service.

Thanks for the info.

-Bill
          -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

I visited the link and saw the pictures of Champion band saw. Classic and simple. Glad it works for you like everything is new.

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                Reply to Delta Q3 fuse question
                by Jim McDonald
                Twenty years in electronics retail and here is a quick dirty way to tell the difference:
                a fast blow will only have the wire element. Slow blow almost always has some extra structure that will be left behind after the fuse blows.
                Secondly, there is a series of three letter engraved on one...
                Today, 08:54 PM
              • Ennobee
                Reply to Looking For Mom and Baby Animal Pattern
                by Ennobee
                They look like David Spielmann's Designs to me. I will check my library this evening, but I bet you already that they are from one of his pattern books.
                Today, 01:55 PM
              • jim_mex
                Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                by jim_mex
                Thanks all - you folks do wonders for my ego with your comments and importantly fire me up to keep trying new things

Scott - once this Covid situation has passed I'll definitely be heading up to NC. I'm tentatively thinking late spring/early summer next year. I am not sure just what pointers...
                Today, 01:35 PM
              • JustLarry
                Reply to Delta Q3 fuse question
                by JustLarry
                I found this information on fuses in general.

Blowing type. Fast-blow fuses will blow as soon as the current reaches the fuse's amperage rating, while slow-blow fuses are designed to tolerate a large number of startup surges and modest short-term overloads without blowing.
                Fast-blow...
                Today, 12:56 PM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Giraffe sold at charity auction
                by Rolf
                WOW! That is exciting.
                Today, 09:42 AM
              Working...
              X