Dremel Model 1680, 'sawdust blower issue'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel Model 1680, 'sawdust blower issue'

Bout the scroll saw slightly used from a great friend of mine (probally didn't use it more than 6 hours max) I've used it for approximately 2oish hours so far... the blower seemed to work fine, i started a new project and its not functioning at all... so i took off the blower and pulled the air pump out of the saw (everytime the arm or the scroll saw hits it, it blows air... Its like a rubber bag type of piece...) And cleaned alittle dust outta the pieces. put it all back together...

Worked for alittle while after that, then again it started to act up. Could i possible have to replace that rubber bag / pump piece? Im stuck between a rock and a hard place... Im in a rush to start filling orders, so if possible i gotta get this little fart fixed. Lemmie know if you have any trouble shooting ideas...

Thanks alot for your help....
    ~Tim Bonner
    'smile it makes people wonder what your up to, and brightens anothers day.'

I cant help you on the dust bag issues, but since your pressed for time with orders (thats so great! Congrats), buy a cheap aquarium pump and a length of hose and prop the hose where it'll blow the dust for you, and get the orders done! Then, worry about that dustbag! Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller
      I cant help you on the dust bag issues, but since your pressed for time with orders (thats so great! Congrats), buy a cheap aquarium pump and a length of hose and prop the hose where it'll blow the dust for you, and get the orders done! Then, worry about that dustbag! Dale
      well, order rather. at the moment. (not to mention Im preparing for a craft show next year depending on how many pop up before then, and how prepared i am by then i may start the shows sooner. But a great friend of mine has recently caught up with his 26 year old daughter that he hasnt seen in 23 years. so he wants a gift for her.

he asked me about a scrolling project. well, i took him up on the challenge. he wants a portrait of 4 folks (his daughter, her husband, and their 2 kids cut out) of any piece of wood (as long as its in decent shape) 24"x30.5" (my scroll saw is a 1680 Dremel 16" saw) so i'm waiting on the pattern to be made (theres a few folks on the forum beating feet to get it done ASAP for me) then if the pattern can be made big enough i gotta find a piece of wood about 3' by 3' that'll be a decent canidate for the project. if i can successfully compleate this challenge. I get almost $300.00 for the piece.

So im quite anxious to get the blower or a blower working. I'll have to try the fish tank pump if i can find one cheap fast. Thanks a million.

Comment

Anyne else have any suggestions for a 'blower fix'?

Don't fish tank pumps require water to run? I'll have to go look into that option today if i can get a chance.

Please If you have any ideas at all, please contact me ASAP.

Thanks alot for your help.
        ~Tim

Comment

no they don't require water to run they actually blow bubbles of air into the tank Tim and the are very inexpensive check local Wal-Marts K-MArts ect.... in the pet sections if you have any near you
          Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

If Carl was here, I'm sure he'd suggest pushing a plastic tube into a tennis ball and fastenening the ball below the lower arm of your saw so that the saw squashes the ball on the down stroke and blows air through the tube.

I've never tried this myself, but apparently it works.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Close Gill.
              How abut a turkey baster from a dollar store.
              They work really well, not as hard as a tennis ball to install.
              You can usually force the tube into the turkey baster stem.
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

The aquarium filter air pump is an excellent solution recommended in many books, but try to get one as silent as you can.

The turkey baster sounds like a good idea Carl, and may be worth a try.

The advantage of the pump motor is that, with a little ingenuity and metal wire, you can position the air hose tube to blow the dust AWAY from your nose, a great side benefit to the lungs.

Regards,
                Marcel
                http://marleb.com
                DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

well, well, well... the air pump worked. Thanks for the help folks... Back to dust slingin'

Comment

cool, send photos whenever you can pry yourself away from that saw for a few minutes! dale
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I may have to try this little aquarium blower type thingy.

My delta doesn't blow hardly any air. It's quite useless actually. Been that way since I bought the saw, so I just figure it wasn't a high priority for the delta saw folks and learned to live with it.
                      Kelly
                      "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Buffalo
                        I may have to try this little aquarium blower type thingy.

My delta doesn't blow hardly any air. It's quite useless actually. Been that way since I bought the saw, so I just figure it wasn't a high priority for the delta saw folks and learned to live with it.
                        Don't think you'll regret it. I invested maybe 8 bucks in this fix / upgrade. and i'm getting more airflow now, than i was all together before it even started acting up.

its worth the little bit of money and the time you put into it as long as you have a spare receptical to plug the pump into...

~Tim

Comment

Its great that this simple fix done the trick!!! Dale
                          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hopefully someone can help me. I recently bought a used DW788 type1. It has been working flawlessly, all of a sudden it got noisey. I have adjusted the Tension rod as described on the internet. The noise is still there. I hope it is not a serios problem. I have read that the Con Rod assy. might be the problem
                            Any help would be appreciated.
                            Fred Buehler, Clearwater,Fl.

Comment

Originally posted by IRMSRUS View Post

its worth the little bit of money and the time you put into it as long as you have a spare receptical to plug the pump into...

~Tim
                              If you are using a foot switch, get one of the one to two adapters and plug your saw and the pump into the outlet side of the swtich.

That way, when the saw is on--the pump is working and then it shuts off appropriately.
                              Jim
                              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X