Dremel Motoshop 57-2 usefulness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel Motoshop 57-2 usefulness

New to scrolling per se, and I'd like to use the tools I have before I go off and spend $750 on a proper scroll saw. I have an ancient Dremel Motoshop 57-2 with some 3" pin blades and the power takeoff shaft. My main question is whether it would be worth the effort to try to do some of the Intarsia work with the saw or just save and get a proper one. I prefer not to buy the $120 level scroll saws as I'm sure I will upgrade them quickly.

I'm interested in Intarsia, puzzles, Bowls, and fretwork.
    My guess is the 57-2 will barely manage to cut stock for bowls, as long as the patterns are spiral and do not require an entrance hole (due to the pin blade).
    Vibration and accuracy will probably be a problem because of the light weight construction of the saw.

I can probably practice sawing softwoods as long as the radii are not too small. I'm assuming there are not many choices in the 3" blade market for tooth patterns.

Is my assessment valid? Am I better off just waiting and purchasing a proper saw (Excaliber or Eclipse) when I can?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Welcome to the site and the world of scroll sawing. While you can use the old saw you have for some work it will really limit you.
    - 3" blades are hard to find.
    - they are only available in limited sizes (teeth) and types (skip tooth, reverse tooth, etc)
    - when doing fret work you have to drill interior holes to thread the blade through. Using pin type blades will greatly limit the fret work you can do.

Bottom line I think you need to upgrade. Don't be afraid to look at Craigslist or other classified ads. Scroll sawing is a love it or hate it. Sometime you cna get great deals on lightly used machines.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

You can do intarsia with that saw since most of all your cuts will be outside cuts.
      But Scott is right you will be severely limited with blade selection.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
        by will8989
        None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
        Today, 12:20 AM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        by Linda In Phoenix
        What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
        The bags seem easier on the surface.
        But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
        Yesterday, 03:24 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
        by will8989
        Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
        Yesterday, 10:32 AM
      • Sandy Oaks
        by Sandy Oaks
        As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
        Yesterday, 09:46 AM
      • NC Scroller
        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
        by NC Scroller
        I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
        Yesterday, 07:42 AM
      Working...
      X