3 Questions on a dremel tool router setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Questions on a dremel tool router setup

How much can one of these tools do in a setup like this?
    How thick wood can you go with this?
    Do they make carbide tipped bits for this tool?

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your request/question.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-07-2011, 10:42 AM.

I've not seen one exactly like this, but I'm never satisfied using a regular dremel as a router. Dremels depend on the high speed of the tool. They've got little torque, and while I know some people use small router bits with a dremel, I prefer using small router bits in a larger router in a router table...

Best Regards,
    Bob Duncan
    Technical Editor
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I agree with Bob, I don't typically use my dremel for routing purposes. I have a Bosch colt I use for smaller more intricate jobs, that is what it is designed for. I use my dremel more for sanding and finessing & drilling entry holes.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

As has already been suggested, there are better (albeit more expensive) options out there. I've never seen carbide bits for the Dremel and the bits I have seen are pilot guided rather than bearing guided. Pilot guided bits can easily burn and gouge the edges of the stock and I would avoid them if at all possible.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I use my Dremel only to clean up round corners, like the pic below. I'll use it to straighten that up. I use the adapter like the pic. I used a 3/8" rabbiting bit in my router initially to make the cut. Don
          Attached Files
          Don

Comment

As stated above the small bits are not available in carbide and I have not been impressed with using the Dremel as a router.
            The Bosch Colt IS not much more (cost) than the Dremel.
            $85 to a little over $100 for the kit. I have an assortment of routers that I don't use anymore since my wife bought me the Colt.
            I have a really big Freud mounted in a table for the big 1/2" bits.
            Last edited by Rolf; 11-07-2011, 02:02 PM.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The Bosch Colt IS not much more than the Dremel.
              $85 to a little over $100 for the kit. I have an assortment of routers that I don't use anymore since my wife bought me the Colt.
              At first, I thought you meant on a performance level, the Bosch was not much more than a dremel until I reread your statement to understand you meant it was not much more in cost. <smile>

I really like my colt for smaller projects, I too have a workhorse setup in a routing table.
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                As stated above the small bits are not available in carbide and I have not been impressed with using the Dremel as a router.
                The Bosch Colt IS not much more than the Dremel.
                I have a really big Freud mounted in a table for the big 1/2" bits.
                Thanks for all your replies.
                I will check out the Bosch Colt.

Comment

Hi Catlyn,

I have the exact setup you show there out in my shop......somewhere. I should list it on Craigslist or something. When my last Dremel died I decided to try my Rotozip out and was happy with the results.
                  Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
                  Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
                  Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
                  Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

I agree with the others on the small router over the Dremel as a router. In regards to carbide bits you can get them at Harbor Freight Item# 44924. The HF bits are more for engraving or carving they do not have the variety such as a round over or flush trim bit. Foredom may have carbide bits also but they are going to cost more.
                    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

i have a dremel with the router sttachment and the EXPENSIVE set of 5-6 router bits ......it DOES work ok for some special jobs, and about the bit guide burning the wood ........darned near sets it on fire........really gotta be careful.and the bits don't last long......i did a search on dremel about a year or so back.....no carbide bits available thru them.........checked some of the other bit manufacturers and really found nothing to speak about in the dremel shank size........

Comment

I have the small Dremel router attachment and the Dremel plunge router base.The plunge base gets more use for small projects.They aren't carbide but I buy my bits from Grizzly H0880 Mini Bit 10 pc. Set , 1/8" Shank except I buy the singles.
                        Tony

Comment

Sounds like this little setup is really more trouble than it's worth.
                          I think I should look for a better setup.
                          I'm working on making the shop usuable at the present time, but when it gets done....I'll be on a roll.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                            Shrink wrap systems
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                            Today, 11:51 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Sundays market
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                            Today, 11:39 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to New tools
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                            Today, 11:36 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Interesting pallet
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                            Today, 11:32 AM
                          • NC Scroller
                            Reply to Interesting pallet
                            by NC Scroller
                            I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                            Today, 11:30 AM
                          Working...
                          X