Dust Collector recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collector recommendations?

I'm almost done completing a new shop in my basement (11 x 18) and I'm looking to purchase a portable dust collector since I don't have much room. I just want something that I can move around on wheels to whatever machine I am working on and which will do a good job. I will primarily use it on the planer, table saw, router table, band saw and sanding machines. Anyone have any recommendations or any to stay away from? I was looking at the Delta 50-720CT. I'm not sure if that is good or good enough. Thanks.

Ok I guess I'm on my own on this one.

Comment

I was thinking of a real good shop vac. One that really sucked and had a large capacity for holding debris. I wear hearing aids and just turn them off so they act like ear plugs. Ear plugs are cheep or you can get some shooters muffs and put your ear buds in and listen to tunes.
      Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
      Desert Woodcrafters
      Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

I have to agree with StephenD if your going to pull it around to each machine just get a shop vac that way you can use it as a vacuum also when not hooked to a machine and i also wear shooters muffs like mentioned in above post when i use my planer

Comment

I have 2 of the Jet dust collectors and they have been great. For the planer and the router table I would suggest you get a chip separator.
          Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Personaly I think the shop vacs are way too noisy for constant running. I have a Jet that is equivalent to the one you are looking at, although the Delta has a better filter. I am currently looking at the Jet Vortex Cone Dust Collector, 1.5HP 1PH 115/230V, 2-Micron Canister Kit, Model DC-1100VX-CK ($500 at Rockler) or I am also considering one of the cyclone collectors ( a bit pricey)
            See you this weekend and we can talk a bit more.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by sawdust11703 View Post
              I'm almost done completing a new shop in my basement (11 x 18) and I'm looking to purchase a portable dust collector since I don't have much room. I just want something that I can move around on wheels to whatever machine I am working on ...
              The shop I had was just a bit longer than yours (11x24) and I had my DC setting along the long wall roughly centered. With one piece of hose I was able to reach every machine I needed it for without having to move the DC. I suggest taking a look at what equipment you have and plan accordingly. A shop that size will probably require you to store some of the larger things (e.g. a table saw) against the wall and use mobile bases to bring them out as needed. The DC is a good choice ... I wouldn't want to listen to the whine of a shop vac for very long.
              Bruce
              . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
              visit sometime
              Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

I use this model from lowes Shop Shop-Vac 16-Gallon 6.5 Peak HP Shop Vacuum at Lowes.com
                Stainless steel, 16 gallons, quiet. 6.5 hp, plenty of sucking power, it sucked a computer mouse right through the hose from about 3 inches away. I use it in conjunction with a seperator, which saves you from having to shake the filer out every other hour Dust Right Vortex Dust Separator - Rockler Woodworking Tools

I personally think most dedicated dust collectors are a sham, over priced and not all that effective. This is well worth a read, this guy wrote the bible on dust collecting
                Bill's Cyclone Dust Collection Research - Home Page
                Most dedicated models are stationary by design, you would need to rig up a system of hoses to cover multiple machines [hoses themselves, along with the filters, will add quite a bit of expense]

Comment

Thank you everyone for your comments. I actually decided on the Delta 50-720CT. It seemed to get good reviews by customers and experts alike. I agree with Rolf on the noise of those shop vacs. Delta has some good sales now where you get cash back rebates for certain items. Rolf, I'll see you over the weekend. Since I already ordered the dust collector, we'll talk band saws. Thats the next purchase.

Comment

I'm a bit late but would like to add my 2 cents. I have the Jet 1.5 DC and it works just fine, like your Delta will for you. I bothered to jump in late because of what Bruce is saying... about the long hose. My shop is 24 X 24 and I've placed my DC in the center of a wall with a long hose that reaches all but 1 corner. In that corner, I have a shorter hose that connects to the longer one. If I had to move the DC around, I probably wouldn't use it. The hose makes it a lot easier.

To make it even easier, I purchased a remote switch which has the DC plugged into it. So if I'm at a machine and I turn it off to make adjustments or whatever, I don't have to walk back and forth to the machine. I have the switch in my pocket. Again, that's another investment to assure my using the DC. The more you facilitate the use of your DC, the more you will use it. Breath!
                    It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

In my 12x18 shop I also use the "long hose" solution and have been happy with it for 7 or 8 years. To make it easier to change the hose connection I use quick connections at each machine; I also installed a switching system that allows turning the DC on/off from anywhere in the shop. Think about the cord-pull bell system that was used on public transportation vehicles.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jimern
                        Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                        by Jimern
                        The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                        Today, 06:29 AM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                        by will8989
                        The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                        Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by will8989
                        Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                        Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                      • tgiro01
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by tgiro01
                        Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                        Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                        Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                      Working...
                      X