Vacume & Saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacume & Saws

I'm about to upgrade to probably Excalibur 16 or the DeWalt 788. I've watched several video's of the Excalibur and never hear a vacume running. I like how quiet it is. But, I would not want to loose that quiet with a a loud shop vac like I run now for table saw and router. They're loud anyways and not on very long.
    So, what is the solution for dust pickup and quiet with a scroll saw? I can't put dust colllection system in with unit outside or another room cuz I'm using part of my garage for shop. Is that $85+ vac at Seyco as quiet as the Excalibur? Is there an actual quiet vac available?

Thanks,
    Regis
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

I should have searched first...found lots and can not delete this post
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

I don't think they make a noiseless vacuum, a box fan with filters attached is about the only somewhat quiet unit around.
      BTW if you want to delete a post just hit the edit button at the bottom of post, then hit delete.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

The scroll saw does not generate that much dust. The majority falls straight down, and what the blow off removes from the work piece does not travel that far. At the end of my cutting, it takes all of 30 seconds to vacuum up.

Comment

I have my shop vac under the workbench in a "hole" boxed in with insulation around the walls to cut down the sound. Then I ran the vac hose to my sander and to my hand sanding table. It isn't total quite but it sure helped the sound. Just an idea for you.

I have an on - off switch at the sanding stations.
          Last edited by Trackman; 11-03-2011, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Get the metal filter screen and static spray from Seyco that fits a 20" box fan. You furnish the fan. Set it next to your saw so the top of the fan is just below your saw table. Plug it into the foot switch so it comes on with the saw. It is amazing how much dust it will devour, and with a relatively low sound level. Also works as a sanding station dust filter.
            Got Moose?

Comment

I tend to go with the filter and box fan idea, a shop vac is a noisey item and generally an expensive one also.....the worst part is the problem of the vac motor wearing out .........(i generally scroll for 4-6 hours at a time.)the shop vac is made to be used sporadiclly and not a constant run thing........If you hook it up to run ONLY when the saw itself is running it would last a bit longer.........i used one on my tablesaw and band saws but went thru 2 motors in about a year.....kinda expensive. box fans are about 12-20 bucks and are made to run almost continuously. (both motors were warranteed thru SHOP VAC.)

Comment

I also use an air filter over a bow fan. It needs a little shop vac after wards but not as much. Shop Vac does have a "quiet" vac. It is still louder than my scroll saw but not terrible. Finally, I would recommend the Dewalt over the Exaliber.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X