Cross cut vs rip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross cut vs rip

Never gave it a thought about grain with scroll saw. But, just put in an Olsen #9 crown tooth blade to make long inside straight cuts around a 1/2" poplar base. When going cross grain it was fast cutting like using a band saw. But, cutting with grain was slow goin'.

New at scrolling and learning and thought useful to other new folk as I've never seen this written about.

Regis
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Nice info to pass along Regis, we do get new people all the time.
    Hey I was just in Mount Juliet, on Oct, 8th. Nice area outside of Nashville. I was visiting a cousin that lives there.
    Keep the sawdust flying.
    Jeff

Comment

Regis,
      With the thousands of posts it never hurts to revisit a topic from time to time. Nice of you to pass on your observation whether it has been addressed before or not. Keep learning and sharing.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

You are absolutely right. Cross cutting is a lot faster than ripping. You will notice that when you are cutting projects from whole wood, not ply. There will be times when you turn a corner and hit a slow part as you cut with the grain. Ya just gota learn to live with that.
        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
        Desert Woodcrafters
        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Regardless what kind of saw you are using or what kind of solid wood you are cutting, this same things holds true. I don't know anything about the physics of wood that causes this to be true, but it is why there are specific rip blades designed for ripping operations on many saws. Rip blades for a table saw are much different than a cross cut blade. Handsaws can also be specifically designed to rip or crosscut. Same thing even with chainsaws. You use a different chain for crosscutting a log than you do for ripping a log. It's all in the tooth geometry. Rip saws generally have fewer teeth with more set in them to clear chips better.

I'm not sure that scrollsaw blades need to be specifically designed for ripping vs crosscutting, since most scrolling involves both. I would expect though that certain blades would do better in a ripping cut than others though. It would be an interesting test to see if say a skip tooth blade might rip easier than a reverse tooth blade, for example.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
            Reply to New tools
            by jim_mex
            Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
            Yesterday, 11:14 PM
          • Hobbyhorse
            Reply to New tools
            by Hobbyhorse
            Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
            Yesterday, 11:03 PM
          • Hobbyhorse
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by Hobbyhorse
            Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
            Yesterday, 10:58 PM
          • KarlB
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by KarlB
            Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
            Yesterday, 09:41 PM
          • KarlB
            Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
            by KarlB
            Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
            Yesterday, 09:31 PM
          Working...
          X