blade holder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blade holder question

I have a Dewalt 788 20 in scroll saw. Having problems with the lower blade holder bending the blades and eventually breaking them. Only bends on the part of the blade that is inserted in the holder. Suggestions?

The side of the blade holder that doesn't have the thunbscrew, has a set screw. One reason for the blade to bend, within the blade holder, is that the set screw isn't screwed into the blade holder far enough. When you tighten the thumbscrew, you are pushing the blade against the empty hole of the set screw which bends the blade.

Screw the set screw in far enough so that the blade is centered in the slot of the blade holder when the thumbscrew is tightened.

Also, make sure that the end of the set screw and the end of the thumscrew are flat - no burrs or scratches. The end of the thumbscrew screw has a small cap on it that can bind and twist at the blade. Check to make sure it rotates within the thumbscrew.

If your set screw doesn't stay in place when you adjust it, invest in some blue locktight. That will hold it in place but will break free when you adjust it.

Rick Hutchinsons site has a lot of information about the D788, it is where I learned the most about maintenance for my saw -- Rick's Scrollsaw.

Good luck

Tony
    The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Thanks Tony I will check this out....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• old fa_t
        Reply to Recommendations anyone?
        by old fa_t
        After totally over-thinking this, I have decided to go ahead with the Micro Mark Saw. It will enable me to do everything I can imagine in my limited space and budget.
        I thank everyone for offering advice, and I look forward to receiving more. As soon as I get it and set it up, I will post pictures...
        Today, 07:37 AM
      • will8989
        Reply to Need any wood?
        by will8989
        Figured it out. The photos were Live and I had to edit them. As you can see, we were quite lucky they didn’t come crashing down in a storm. The last picture was a 2 trunk tree. My son already split a truck load today.

Next project, the roofer next week. Yippee....
        Yesterday, 08:56 PM
      • handibunny
        Reply to Need any wood?
        by handibunny
        Betty, I just tried a test, using a standard jpeg file. I clicked "upload attachments", then selected the photo I wanted to upload, then double clicked the photo, and it uploaded without a problem. Go figure!
        Yesterday, 12:07 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to Need any wood?
        by will8989
        When I try to upload pictures, why is there an X next to upload attachments? I hate computers.
        Yesterday, 09:14 AM
      • will8989
        Reply to Need any wood?
        by will8989
        Here’s the pics. Or not. Won’t let me upload. Will try in the morning.
        04-19-2021, 09:53 PM
      Working...
      X