788 with rusting on top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 788 with rusting on top

Bought my 788 in March of this year. I noticed today that the edges are beginning to rust. It hasn't been exposed to any weather nor scratched / damaged. Would this be a warranty issue I should call them about or take it back to the seller? I wouldn't think she would rust much less in 6 months time. Anybody else have this kind of trouble or heard of it?
    Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
    Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Its a cast iron table, it will rust just from the moisture in the air. I think Dewalt would laugh at anyone claiming that as a defect. If your table is flat (check it with a straightedge), keep it, if your table is not flat, try getting a new one because of the flatness, NOT because of surface rust. For the rust, give her a good rubdown with steel wool and or 400 grit sandpaper. Blow and wipe off the dust. Wipe the table edges and top with rubbing alcohol, and that will dry in a few seconds. Then (the most important part) apply a coating of a NON silicone containing wax. I use Johnsons paste wax. Every once in a while, rewax it. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I purchased my DeWalt in April of this year, and am experiencing the same problem, the location of my rust area's are primarily on the table top where my arms or wrist rest as I am guiding the projects with my hands. Roughly in the 5:00 and 7:00 o:clock postions.

Just follow Dale suggestions and all will be well!
      Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

I don't know - I've had mine for about 8 years now and never got any rust. Never treated it either. ???
        Theresa E
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Had mine since March, same scenario as Bill, same solution as Dale, although the rubbing alcohol is an excellent idea that I hadn't heard of before
          Thanx Dale
          ...~Robert~
          DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

I've had my Dewalt 4 or 5 years now and I'm with Theresa, I've never seen any rust. Maybe this is a problem with the newer models we've been hearing so much about.
            Marsha
            LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

I have a Delta P-20 and mine has rust where my wrists lay on the table.
              I use 400 grit sandpaper and then put Johnson's wax on the table.

Bob
              Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Theresa and Marsha, try applying some paste wax to your table whether there is rust or not. The wood will slide much easier on it. I have never had a rust problem either but still apply Johnson's paste wax every month or so.
                Mick Delta P-20
                Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I have a Dremel and have rust marks in the same area as most of you. I like to spray it with a top coat seal every once in a while which also helps in gliding the work on the table.

Eric

Comment

As Dale said, the rust is the result of the relative humidity in the area where the saw is located. Even those who have commented on rust spots where their wrists rest on the table are probably experiencing higher humidity than ideal. Higher humidity, more persipiration and it won't evaporate, so it stays on the table and allows it to rust.

Tools with cast iron tops aren't coated or painted from the factory (at least not with anything you want to leave on) and unprotected are very vulnerable to rust, maybe even more so than other unpainted metal surfaces. So it's up to you to take care of the rust, but more importantly try & improve the conditions in the shop. I realize that isn't always possible, especially in garage shops. I use a dehumidifier from May to October in my basement and during cold weather, I primarily heat with wood/coal, so I have no problems with any rust. I've had my DW788 for a couple years now with no rust at all. However, coating with a non-silocone wax is a good idea anyway. It helps the wood slide much easier on the table. I do it with all my metal/cast iron tool table tops.
                    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I have had my DeWalt for 9+ years and also live in South Carolina (very Humid) conditions. Your DW788 is rusting on the edges because of your arms and wrists touching the surface there as was said previously. My tablesaw top (cast iron) and bandsaw table (cast iron) also rust. I use a product called TopSaver to remove the rust, but, it will still rust again.

Two other suggestions: If you cover your tabletops with an old bedsheet, between uses it will not rust where covered even in a humid garage. I have proven this when some areas of the table were not covered with a sheet.

Another tip is if you store "slightly used" scroll saw blades in the open air they will rust. This will not effect the blades cutting ability, but, will rust stain the first inch of wood that you cat.

I call this "Rusty scroll saw blade season".

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Walker
                        Theresa and Marsha, try applying some paste wax to your table whether there is rust or not. The wood will slide much easier on it. I have never had a rust problem either but still apply Johnson's paste wax every month or so.
                        Mick Delta P-20
                        Thanks Mick - I've heard to use wax on the table top, but wasn't sure what kind. So, where do I find the Johnson's paste wax??

Theresa
                        Theresa

Comment

I have only had my Dremel a few months but I have an idea that I won't have the problem many of you are experiencing. My wrists and hands hardly ever make anything more than momentary contact with the table top. I'm sure we all have different styles but I have an idea that the people that haven't had the problem also don't rest their hands or wrists on the table. I was thinking about that while sawing this afternoon. The times when there is no wood to place my appendages on, I keep my wrists suspended a little. I assume that the humidity coupled with the perspiration or oils in the skin, are what's doing it. Just my thought. You're welcome to take it with a grain of salt, of course.
                          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
                            You're welcome to take it with a grain of salt, of course.
                            I think you might be right in more ways than one!! I know cars rust out faster here in Michigan because of the salt used on the roads during the winter. Sweat has salt in it...... And I find I do not lay my arms, wrists on the table top much if at all.

Threresa
                            Theresa

Comment

It's environmental

The problem doesn't lie with resting the wrists and hands or not.

It depends on the environment.

I experience rust on my table saw, pressdrill, bandsaw and DW788. And the DeWalt is the least expensive of these items.

I also have rust on my engineer squares and other hand tools.

I have to do maintenance on all of them, and I also need to get a de-humidifier for the shop.

So Metal and moisture in the air = rust, it's as simple as that.

Oh, and by the way, the reason some experience rust where they rest their paws is known as sweat (yea, yea, I know : girls don't sweat) and if you don't want to believe it's sweat then tell yourself that the skin is trapping more moisture in that area causing it to rust faster.

You'll experience the same problem if you leave items lying on top of the table that could trap moisture.

So... What has been said about sanding, cleaning and waxing as well as using protective products that contain no silicone (very important) such as T9 or TopCoat is very good advice.

And preventive maintenance helps. Don't wait till your table is pitted by rust to take care of it, and you'll have tools that will last a long time.

Regards,
                              Marcel
                              http://marleb.com
                              DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X