E-Z Set Blade Holder System for Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Z Set Blade Holder System for Hawk

Has anyone put this upgrade on their saw?
    I just ordered it from Pozgai.
    When I was still using my Delta SS350 I loved the quick release blade clamp. So I am thinking the Hawk G4 with this blade clamp should be awesome. Blade clamping in nano seconds for fretwork.

I will give a full report when I have it installed.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Let us know....I hope it will work on my VS226.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Please keep us informed Rolf. I would love to have the Delta style quick clamp for my Hawk G4.

george
      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Rolf -

My two cents -

I purchased the upper clamp assembly years ago and absolutely love it. At the time I did not purchase the lower because I had several of the rbi thumb screw clamps and I liked having preloaded blades. Well as you know the thumb screws eventually wear out and so I have now purchased the lower assembly holder.

A couple of thoughts - 1. I miss having different preloaded blades. 2. I am not very coordinated and can't seem to get the knack of changing the lower blade without looking - this requires me to get off my stool and kneel under the saw to see the assembly for loading new blades. 3 - It is awesome being able to thread the blade from the top on some of the harder to reach middle cuts

Overall - I love the ez clamps and highly recommend them.

George

Comment

Thanks George,
          I also like having the preloaded blade holders. I have taken the worn holders and put helicoils in them (or tap locks) the threads will then pretty much last forever.
          Rolf

Comment

Rolf

Comment

OK Rolf, I am counting on you with this. I just ordered the upper for my G4. I just have not been liking my G4 since I bought it. Mainly since that upper blade holder can be a pain.
              Always seems like you never get it just right. Other than that, it is a smooth running saw.

Comment

Hi Guys!
                I am new to this forum but up in age so I had to make a few mods to my Hawk, one was to shorten the front legs so I could sit down.
                I did not like the rear pivots design so I modified it.
                And I thought the bottom blade pivot was a miserabley clumsy design.
                Here are pictures of my modifications:
                Hawk Scroll Saw Modifications Photo Gallery by Rolf at pbase.com
                Does any one know what my model No. is?

Rolf K.

Comment

Hi Rolf K.,
                  Nice name! Welcome to a great forum.
                  The saw should have a plate on it with the model #.
                  It is an older model and not a G4. The G4 did away with the lower barrel clamp for a much simpler setup. Do you have the manual? If not send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the manual that has a lot of useful information.
                  I have never seen one with the sloted arms.
                  Last edited by Rolf; 06-01-2012, 08:10 AM.
                  Rolf

Comment

I have a modified Jr.hawk that I use almost exclusively and I put the EZ set chucks on both top and bottom makes top feeding really easy after a little practice. only downside ifyou want to call it that is that I have to cut about a 1/4" from the bottom of a new blade as it affects the stroke on smaller machines and lets the smooth part of the blade come above the table not a real problem for me considering the speed, I cut a lot of while you wait things at a local flea mkt. and really like the speed for top feeding.
                    jim

Comment

Hi Rolf - thanks for the information and progress report.

Like you I favour the Quick Clamps on my Delta and I'm already not terribly fond of the clamps on my recently acquired Dewalt so I'll also be looking into the possibility of changing.

I notice that a Dewalt option is not listed on the Pozgai web site. I guess I need to investigate this a little further. Glad to hear though that you got sorted out.
                      Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Old Hawk.......

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                        Hi Rolf K.,
                        Nice name! Welcome to a great forum.
                        The saw should have a plate on it with the model #.
                        It is an older model and not a G4. The G4 did away with the lower barrel clamp for a much simpler setup. Do you have the manual? If not send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the manual that has a lot of useful information.
                        I have never seen one with the slotted arms.
                        Found the model # plate under a lot of saw dust, it is a 220. I seem to remember the slotted arms were an upgrade that I (bought?) got years ago.
                        I see why they did away with the barrel clamp. I think I will reshape my aluminum one to be more pear shaped so that it will pivot slightly in the arm recess, that will eliminate some of the bending stress on the bottom of the blade. I might even modify the arm to take the new clamp, I have to think about it.
                        Thanks for offering the manual but i don't think I need it, it will most likely to get lost in all my junk anyway. BTW what is PM?
                        I seem to have trouble with the 'Search" function here, no matter what I look for it doesn't give me a hit! Searching for Rolf K. doesn't even work! The only way I found my way back to this blog was to Google "hawk bottom blade holder".
                        What am I doing wrong?

Comment

BTW what is PM?
                          Private message.

To search for a member you need to use the community link and member list.

To find an older post you have made. use the "quick links" then you profile then statistics then show all posts. Hope that helps.
                          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have some pictures home of the G4 lower blade clamp that I will post.
                            Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X