Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabls saw safety

The court has ruled

Table Saw Verdict Upheld, CPSC Commisioner’s Statement | Popular Woodworking Magazine

I hate it when our court system rewards stupidity and then the government tries to regulate it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...cNL_story.html
    Last edited by Messman; 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM.
    CHRIS

http://www.members.cox.net/messman123/messman.htm

The CPSC is seeking input from the public. If you can submit your comments through this site:

Regulations.gov
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by Messman View Post
      The court has ruled

I hate it when our court system rewards stupidity and then the government tries to regulate it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...cNL_story.html
      The "NANNY STATE" at work here....pitiful...how do you legislate against stupidity???

Phil J

Comment

I have elected not to have a tablesaw in my little workshop. I do not feel comfortable using one. I know they can be very dangerous and give a "kick-back" and I don't like the thought of having my face or chest kicked in.
        So...I have always managed without one.
        I have a drill press, bandsaw, mitersaw and a router....and even that router.....I am extremely careful with that tool. Careful with all my tools but I have a healthy fear of that router.
        The tools I have have been sufficient to serve my needs.

Comment

I've run probably 100's of miles of wood through table saws, literally, and have yet to receive a scratch.
          Thats not to say that one day perhaps I won't chop chop off my hand - Then again, I might fall off the toilet and bust my head open too, or my loving German Shepard may snap, and get me by the throat as I sleep. How many obscure possibilities is the government prepared to protect us against ?
          "Accidents" are just that, and they are almost always caused by an error by the operator/user.
          Sharp, spinning metal blades are dangerous, any user knows that before they hit the switch - And they remain dangerous even without power, so long as the blade is spinning.
          Concepts that a 4th grader would easily understand, and take precautions against.
          Pretty ironic to see proposed legislation in response to a small handful of isolated incidents, and then we see 10,000's killed on the road every year by vehicles.

2nd link is not working, by the way
          Last edited by Xray; 10-22-2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

They have probably moved the news article.
            CHRIS

http://www.members.cox.net/messman123/messman.htm

Comment

I remember when the verdict was first handed down, and I thought it was ridiculous then, and still do. I have been using table saws for 30 years, and have cut myself twice...not very seriously...and both times it was my fault. It just taught me better work habits.
              Even if they were very serious, I wouldn't think to sue anyone. The saw didn't cause the accidents...I did.
              Even so, I would never willingly buy a saw stop, and don't want to be forced to embrace that technology.
              Steve
              http://www.urbanexteriors.biz

we don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.

Comment

I think Saw Stop might be willingly embraced by more folks if:

1) They hadn't put on a full-court press trying to legislate it's use.
                and
                2) It didn't destroy itself when it was triggered.

Comment

I agree that many were put off by what they perceived to be an effort to get the government to force table saw manufacturers to adopt the Saw Stop technology. I won't defend that. However, far from destroying itself when triggered, the replacement cartridges cost around $70. For a $3,000 saw, this would seem like a small price to pay for saving a digit.

By most accounts, the Saw Stop is an excellent saw. Even without the added benefit of the safety technology, it is widely regarded to be a better built saw than much of it's competition. I've spoken a couple times with guys at the local distributor and they say that the SS is by far their leading seller over the past couple years. Some of that is attributed to commercial customers looking to avoid liability issues, but they also sell a lot to amateur woodworkers and the build quality is a significant selling feature.

I don't like the idea of the government trying to mandate common sense. I say let the market decide. If enough folks start opting for these kind of safety features, the other manufacturers are going to have to do something to stay in business. Where the real problem will be is in the budget priced, entry level type saws that sell for $150 or so. I can't see these things maintaining that kind of price point given the engineering costs of incorporating a high tech safety feature like this. That may mean that eventually, either by federal mandate or by market pressures, table saw prices are going to go up significantly and some won't be able to compete.
                  Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Tools don't hurt people, people hurt themselves. A saw is designed to cut and it will cut anything you put up against it, even fingers. I also own a full woodworking shop and my table saw is the center. I couldn't live without it and so far, I've never been hurt by any tools. As for the most dangerous tool - I'd have to say my routers.

Tools need to be respected by following certain rules. Here are the basic ones for table saws.
                    #1 Always unplug the machine when switching blades.
                    #2 Always use the right blade - rip blade for cutting the length of a board - combination - crosscut - plywood or...
                    #3 Never put your finger near the blade. Always use push sticks. There a number of commercial ones, but I make my own with a long reach to keep the boards on the table and avoid kick backs.
                    #4 If a board rocks on a flat surface, don't rip cut it because it may kick back on you. Flip the board over and rip it with concave side down so it don't rock.
                    #5 Stay focused on your task. Don't cut if you're tired or distracted or rushed. Think and stay focused.
                    #6 Keep the government out of your workshop!
                    It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

I worked for a machine tool manufacturer that built multi-million dollar honing machines for the auto industry.

Up to 20% of the cost of some of the machines was providing personal injury protection.

This was partly to protect the customer from lawsuits from employees who would intentionally hurt themselves.

Yes believe it or not it happens!

I believe the existing laws governing tablesaw manufacturers are adequate.

I think if they was to include a couple of pushsticks with instructions for their

use that would be fine.

What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Requiring sawstop type technology on all tablesaws is in my opinion not needed.

It would add so much to the price of a tablesaw it would exclude many from the market.
                      Last edited by Stoney; 11-04-2011, 09:16 AM.
                      Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                        The bags seem easier on the surface.
                        But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                        Today, 03:24 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by will8989
                        Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                        Today, 10:32 AM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                        Today, 09:46 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by NC Scroller
                        I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                        Today, 07:42 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        by NC Scroller
                        I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                        Today, 07:39 AM
                      Working...
                      X