new saw question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new saw question

what is a good entry level saw to get? ive been reading the what saw do you have post and still unsure what to get. ive been looking at the craftsman and skill ones around the $100ish range. im just worried because a while back i wanted a bandsaw and got the $100 craftsman and hated it (mostly because i wanted it to do more than it was capable of doing).

Just a little over a year ago I purchased the saw that Lowes is selling. It is a Portor Cable brand that has been sold as other brands during the last few years.
    It was a great saw to start on for me.
    I now have a used Hawk that I find to be a much better saw but cost, used, around 400 bucks. That is over twice the cost of the Lowes saw.
    My 5 cents worth.
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Zombie

My experience with power tools has taught me if it has the Craftsman name on it don't buy it. Try and find a copy of the magazine issue 40 they had a good run down of saws in every price range. I upgraded from my Craftsman to the Dewalt 788 and there is no comparison between the two.
      Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

Save youself the pain. Ex 30 or the Eclipse
        Last edited by Rainman2014; 10-12-2011, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
          Reply to Bruce doing great
          by meflick
          Glad to hear all is going well for Bruce. No hiding the meds. 😉
          Today, 11:04 AM
        • B'ville Scroller
          Reply to Looking for Feedback ...
          by B'ville Scroller
          Well ... I am SO glad we tempered our enthusiasm. Show is cancelled. Apparently, things did not go as planned. Maybe next year.
          Yesterday, 10:30 PM
        • RJweb
          Reply to Bruce doing great
          by RJweb
          Glad to hear that, now be a good nurse, lol, RJ
          Yesterday, 07:49 PM
        • will8989
          Bruce doing great
          by will8989
          Got to hospital at 5 and office didn’t open until 5:30. Could have slept to 4 instead of 3. Right knee replacement. Surgery was at 7, he was awake and up by 10:30, pt and out the door by 12. Not much to do today except take meds, and walk 10 minutes an hour. His knee has to bend back to 120 deg. Due...
          Yesterday, 04:31 PM
        • Sandy Oaks
          Teach - Learn
          by Sandy Oaks
          A modified Sue Mey pattern to fit 1" x 4" x 10" Hard Maple. Cut on the Pegas scroll saw using a Pegas #5 MGT blade. One side says "TEACH". Flip it over and the other side says "LEARN". After sanding, dipped in diluted Shellac, sanded again and another dipping. Comments...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          Yesterday, 12:13 PM
        Working...
        X