Ultra reverse- too ultra!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra reverse- too ultra!

I recently have become unsatisfied with Olson blades and am trying out Flying Dutchman. Mike was nice enough to send me some samples to find out what I like and they are working greatly! The only problem is that he recommended an ultra reverse (every 3rd tooth reversed) blade instead of a regular reverse. On the bottom of the cut there are no fuzzies, however on the top there are? I have never had this happen before and fuzzies show less on the back then the front. Any ideas or thoughts? (I have also made sure I didn't have it upside down! )

I've never encountered that. Drop a note to Mike. He is very helpful, even on the weekends.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

If you have no fuzz on the bottom, you should have no fuzz on top. You get more saw dust on top than with a blade what has only reverse teeth on the bottom. I have started to make X-Mas ornaments and have used noting but the UR blades. I have no fuzz on top.
      FD Mike
      SD Mike

Comment

I was working with Aspen mostly (a little pine too) and that has a different texture to it. Maybe it was just sawdust sticking to the surface. I still like them more that Olson so I'm happy.

Comment

Can't really claim it as "the" favorite blade, but I find myself using #3 UR blades a lot, lately. I've also been using the #5 and #1 blades. I have just gotten some 2/0 blades and will be trying them in some places I use a #1.

I still get some fuzzies, but much less than I used to. A quick wipe with the 400 grit sanding mop cleans them all up.
          The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Aspen has a very fluffy textured sawdust, so it may look fuzzier than it really is. I've been using the UR blades for a few years now, and just love them. Never had a problem with fuzzies.
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I used a #3UR on some aspen as a prototype for an ornament and got some fuzzies, but after working with that wood some in the past years, I just chalked it up to the nature of the wood.

Exact same blade and same thickness of poplar yielded no fuzzies.
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Aspen is a very fuzzy wood so I doubt it is the blade.
                What put you off the Olson blades? ( which blade)
                Being the president of our local club I am always looking for topics for discussion. Blades are always fun.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, I used to use Olsen blades but recently switched to FD. My personal feelings are that the Olsens are not as sharp and don't last as long as the FD's. Since I cut a lot of things out in thicker wood, that can be a problem for me. Because they are sharper, they also cut quicker so I guess depending on what you're cutting that could be a good thing or bad thing. I do sometimes go back to the olsens depending on what I'm doing.

Comment

I've never cared for Olsen blades. Just what you get used to I guess. Aspen is definitely one of the fuzzier woods - whether cutting or sanding. Bass wood is similar (and has the added bonus of smelling like crayons!)
                    Janette
                    www.square-designs.com

Comment

Just a question out of curiosity. Are you using scotch tape or painters tape between the pattern on the wood? Its my experience that the use of tape helps eliminate fuzzies on softer woods and particularly on very soft plywood.
                      Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                        Just a question out of curiosity. Are you using scotch tape or painters tape between the pattern on the wood? Its my experience that the use of tape helps eliminate fuzzies on softer woods and particularly on very soft plywood.
                        I have had so-so luck with tape on plywood. When removing the tape it tends to "pull" wood fibers.

As to blades I use UR#5 a lot when stack cutting. They cut very clean. I used to use Olsen blades but after a bad experience I use FD only.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I use Mike's blades religously and the only time it "looks" like fuzzies on top is when I am cutting pine that has not been completely dried.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                            Reply to Sundays market
                            by will8989
                            We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                            Today, 08:56 PM
                          • Jim McDonald
                            Reply to Interesting pallet
                            by Jim McDonald
                            I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
                            But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for...
                            Today, 08:17 PM
                          • Quartz43
                            Reply to New tools
                            by Quartz43
                            I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                            Today, 03:40 PM
                          • hotshot
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by hotshot
                            You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                            Today, 02:27 PM
                          • RJweb
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by RJweb
                            I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                            Today, 01:31 PM
                          Working...
                          X