Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DW788 problem

Type 2

I am having a problem with the blade clamps.
    Blade keeps jumping out.

I have filed the thumb screws flat, adjusted the other side screws, cleaned the clamps, etc. but still have the problem.

Should I just order new thumb screws or what?

John

Old Dust

Hey John, Replacing the thumb screws will help, but only temporally. The main culprit is the blades. There is oil on the blades from the manufacturing process. The oil needs to be removed. Some people use mineral spirits. I use a folded sheet of 220 grit sandpaper. Before mounting the blade, I sand the ends of the blade. If you look at the sandpaper, you will see the oil that was removed!
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

If the blade still slips after cleaning the blade ends, your clamp screws may not be perfectly flat. An easy remedy is to take a small block of wood that is narrower than the length of the screw. Drill a hole through it that is squared with the axis of the block. I think the Dewalt uses a 7 mm screw. The hole should allow the screw to turn easily through it and portrude from the other side of the block. Set your disc sander table at 90 degrees, and check with a square. Now dress the end of the screw. Using a miter gage to align the block is also helpful, but it should be easy to eyeball the work.
      Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

One other little tip that is often overlooked - the thumbscrew on the Dewalt blade clamps has a rotating tip. If you remove the thumbscrew and pull on the very end, it will come out. You will see that it has a very small O-ring on the shaft. Apply a tiny bit of light grease to this O-ring and re-insert the tip back into the end of the screw. This tip needs to be able to turn freely. If it doesn't, then what can happen is that as you are tightening the clamp, it can actually force the end of the blade out of alignment to where it isn't seated properly in the clamp and won't stay when tension and/or force is applied.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
          Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
          by will8989
          Carole, only you would cut sprinkles on a scrollsaw. I would probably use rice and stain it. I just gave up replacing my insert. Its worn, but works for what I need. I do sand it to make sure there are no burrs sticking up to scratch the wood. I will be trying the new contact paper when mine runs...
          Yesterday, 08:16 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to Shawl pins
          by will8989
          Thick hair would need a larger opening, thinner hair would require a smaller opening to stay in place. The one being shown in the utube would probably work for thicker hair. They look way better than a pencil or dowel! That elephant sure is cute in her hair!.
          Yesterday, 08:09 PM
        • Rolf
          New Toy!
          by Rolf
          A family friends father passed away and he was an avid bird carver. So my nephew is helping the family sell some of his tools. I bought this air cleaner and will b uy most of his carving knives and burrs. And no that is not my workshop! Not even close. ...
          Yesterday, 04:47 PM
        • Rolf
          Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
          by Rolf
          I just did a quick job on my table. Charles Hand has noticed that the adhesive on the new rolls of Contact brand shelf paper leaves a residue. He has changed to The duck brand. I just bought a roll and covered my table with it. It is a tough slick surface. It will be interesting to see how it holds...
          Yesterday, 04:44 PM
        • axor
          Reply to Shawl pins
          by axor

Yes, they can be used for hair. If they are made a little larger than the original, the shawl pins will work great in the hair!...
          Yesterday, 03:21 PM
        Working...
        X