Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DW788 problem

Type 2

I am having a problem with the blade clamps.
    Blade keeps jumping out.

I have filed the thumb screws flat, adjusted the other side screws, cleaned the clamps, etc. but still have the problem.

Should I just order new thumb screws or what?

John

Old Dust

Hey John, Replacing the thumb screws will help, but only temporally. The main culprit is the blades. There is oil on the blades from the manufacturing process. The oil needs to be removed. Some people use mineral spirits. I use a folded sheet of 220 grit sandpaper. Before mounting the blade, I sand the ends of the blade. If you look at the sandpaper, you will see the oil that was removed!
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

If the blade still slips after cleaning the blade ends, your clamp screws may not be perfectly flat. An easy remedy is to take a small block of wood that is narrower than the length of the screw. Drill a hole through it that is squared with the axis of the block. I think the Dewalt uses a 7 mm screw. The hole should allow the screw to turn easily through it and portrude from the other side of the block. Set your disc sander table at 90 degrees, and check with a square. Now dress the end of the screw. Using a miter gage to align the block is also helpful, but it should be easy to eyeball the work.
      Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

One other little tip that is often overlooked - the thumbscrew on the Dewalt blade clamps has a rotating tip. If you remove the thumbscrew and pull on the very end, it will come out. You will see that it has a very small O-ring on the shaft. Apply a tiny bit of light grease to this O-ring and re-insert the tip back into the end of the screw. This tip needs to be able to turn freely. If it doesn't, then what can happen is that as you are tightening the clamp, it can actually force the end of the blade out of alignment to where it isn't seated properly in the clamp and won't stay when tension and/or force is applied.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
          by will8989
          Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
          Today, 10:32 AM
        • Sandy Oaks
          Reply to Shrink wrap systems
          by Sandy Oaks
          As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
          Today, 09:46 AM
        • NC Scroller
          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
          by NC Scroller
          I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
          Today, 07:42 AM
        • NC Scroller
          by NC Scroller
          I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
          Today, 07:39 AM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          by Linda In Phoenix
          I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
          Yesterday, 10:01 PM
        Working...
        X