Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt 788 stopped working

Hi, All

My 788 (type 2) wouldn't turn on the other day. It had been working fine, and I had just been using it, but when I flipped the switch, nothing happened. I sprayed canned air into the arm to no avail. I came back later, and it fired up without issue. I shrugged it off.

Today it won't start, either. I flip the switch and nothing happens. No hum or anything. I checked the fuse, and it looks to be fine. I didn't check the brushes (like the manual talks about). Does anyone ever do that?

Any ideas?

SDG

It is probably your on off switch. You need to clean it out and then get a footswitch turn on the saws switch and tape over the regular switch to keep dust out of it and not use the on off switch anymore. It is an ongoing problem with the 788.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Did you happen to check where it is plugged in? Like wall socket or extension cord .

Might be a simple solution .
      Roger

Comment

Dunk is right, it is the switch. the switch is easily repairable if you have the desire to. Most people use a foot switch and tape off the saw switch. I myself don't use a foot switch, so I keep my switch clean by periodically blowing compressed air into the switch. Also I keep a brush nearby to keep the area around the switch clean.
        Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Pulled apart the switch and sprayed air in and around the thing to remove the obvious dust. Still nothing. Was getting ready to report no success but directed one last stream of air into the top of the switch itself, and the saw fired up.

Thanks!

Comment

That's just what I was going to say. Get a foot switch. You won't be sorry either, I like mine & it is much easier to operate the saw with your foot, than reaching up to turn it on or off. Try it, you'll like it !!!
            PERK

Comment

Mine did the same thing. It's a common problem with the Dewalt. Once it got to the point is was so finicky that I was messing around more taking the cover off the switch and blowing it out than cutting, I broke down and bought a footswitch. No more problems and once you get used to a footswitch, you will wonder how you ever got along with out one. Flaky on/off switch or not, they are a great addition to any scrollsaw, IMHO.
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• evilbadger
                Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                by evilbadger
                Yes I'm still using the one I built I did some upgrades to it though. I swapped out the pipes for linear motion rails and made the gantry out of aluminum. I guess if I were to upgrade now I would be looking for a full size machine that could do 4x8 sheets of plywood with an automatic tool changer but...
                Today, 09:28 PM
              • vgraf
                Reply to Old Tool - Reborn
                by vgraf
                Looks great!
                Today, 08:15 PM
              • tgiro01
                Old Tool - Reborn
                by tgiro01
                With all these new tool stories, I was working on and old one. About 9 years ago, I built a router table. Then, before it was finished, I had to start using it. And I have used it over the years. A couple of months ago, While I was contemplating cleaning, I looked at the machine and decided to finish...
                Today, 03:24 PM
              • Rolf
                Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                by Rolf
                I do remember that 2011 Wow, you were gutsy building that then, CNC was just coming into the home environment. Are you still using the one you built?
                Today, 10:23 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?
                by Rolf
                Jim that is why there are now CD's available for past issues. To me a copier/scanner and printer are a necessary part of my tool inventory. JMO...
                Today, 10:19 AM
              Working...
              X