Delta Q3 Users Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta Q3 Users Opinions

I've used a Dewalt DW788 for several years, and wore it out. Bought a used Hegner Multi-Max 18 that I've upgraded to current specs, but am not real pleased with. Before I haul the Dewalt off to the repair center, I've located a Q3 that I can buy for $125. I had a P-20 once, and didn't like using it due to the difficulty in clamping the blades in the swivel type clamps. So...what I'd like to know is, your honest opinions of the Q3. I do quite a lot of stack cutting; I prefer to build larger clocks and other bigger projects, and I use almost 100% hardwood that I've bought from the mill and dried in my barn before processing into usable lumber. I already know Rick's opinion, and am about ready to buy the machine based on that. Thanks everybody.
    Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

I have a P20 & Q3,
    I still use my Q3 and I like it, the problem might be to get parts for it.
    I paid about $180 for it new, so 125 sounds high to me.
    My P20 and Q3 have the same blade clamps.

Bob
    Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I have used my Q3 for 12+ years and love it. It has only 2 drawbacks as far as I am concerned. 1. because it only bottom feeds, I am limited to approx. 10" x 10" pieces or smaller if I have to get to fret holes in the middle of a board with a thin blade #2 or smaller. 2. I keep a supply of mini-switches on hand since they seem to go after only 1000-1500or so on-off cycles.

george

george
      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I have had my Q3 for about 22 years and still love it. I have worn out a couple of on/off switches also but do not understand why sawdustus is limited to a 10" square. Mine is 18" saw and I have done a many 30" panels on it over the years and some larger by turning the blade around backwards and bringing the wood towards me as I cut. I do not recommend to much of that style of cutting but it works in a pinch. Steve
        If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
        My Gallery
        [email protected]

Comment

Steve, that's because I have not turned the blade around. I have enough trouble cutting when I can see the line in front of me. What I meant by 10 x 10 inch was if the center holes are more than 5 - 6 inches in from the edge of the board it is difficult to thread really thin blades: they bend too much and like to snap. I use my Hawk, a top feeder, for really large and/or more delicate cuttings in thin wood.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Bruce, sorry that Hegner is not working out. My offer still stands on loaning you a DW788 until you get things worked out.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks again Scott. I really appreciate your generous offer. After a couple of months of very frustrating attempts trying to solve the Hegner blade breaking problems, and considering all the problems and expense associated with the purchase of a used saw, I finally loaded the DW788 in the truck and took it to the Dewalt Repair Center in Charlotte last Friday. The Guaranteed Total Rebuild price of $259.99 suddenly appeared to be the best solution to the whole problem. So far, by trying to come up with a good, working scroll saw, and save money, I have spent over $800 and broken dozen of blades. I am still trying to solve the Hegner problem, taking into consideration every possible scenario that may cause the arms to be misaligned. Drs. appt. @ Salisbury V.A. today, so won't get into it much until tomorrow. Another lacking of the Hegner is the very small table. Working on a pair crosses by Dirk Boelman that are cut from 3/4" stock and 10 x 18 board. Board will fall off table if I don't hold it while rethreading the blade, and have to be real careful when cutting at the extreme ends that the board doesn't tip.

Comment

Bruce,
                as to the tipping could you add an auxiliary table top. perhaps a 1/8" sheet of plexi or even plywood that has double sided tape under it to make your table larger in area? I think that would work well to stop the tipping of the wood due to small area of the current table top. 1/8" ply or plexi would not change the use of the blade that much. I'd give it a try.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by sawdustus View Post
                  Steve, that's because I have not turned the blade around. I have enough trouble cutting when I can see the line in front of me. What I meant by 10 x 10 inch was if the center holes are more than 5 - 6 inches in from the edge of the board it is difficult to thread really thin blades: they bend too much and like to snap. I use my Hawk, a top feeder, for really large and/or more delicate cuttings in thin wood.

george
                  Thanks for the explanation George. I got really frustrated with that same problem for quite awhile until enough practice was under my belt to overcome not being able to line up the holes. I now understand. I got the EX30 last year when they had them on sale and that has been my first experience with a top feeder and what a difference that makes. Steve
                  If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                  My Gallery
                  [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. I have considered adding an auxillary top, but the focus has been on correcting the cause of blade breakage. Yesterday, I couldn't cut 5 minutes per blade before breaking, always inside the bottom clamp. Something is seriously out of line. I bought the saw from an elderly widow lady who knew nothing about the machine, except her husband used it. I am going to check the arm mounts and spacers next. Perhaps the late former owner had taken the machine apart and reassembled it improperly. Maybe the car ran into it; it was in the garage. I don't believe it was used much by the last owner due to the books and patterns she gave me. They were all beginner prctice paterns.

Comment

Hi, Sawman. I started out with my Q-3 & really liked it. Then I started using spiral blades & it was almost impossible to clamp those twisted blades tight enough to hold. If I set the clamp loose enough for the blade to insert, it would not clamp tight, & when I tightened it up enough to hold it, I could not get the blade into the clamp. Sooo, I bought my 788. Otherwise I liked the saw & still have it. I use it once in a while when I use flat blades. Hope you can work things out OK. Good Luck.
                      PERK

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                        Reply to Need advice...
                        by Jim McDonald
                        Thanks Carole!
                        Today, 10:19 AM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
                        by will8989
                        SLRA does a “spot” check. He’s lucky I’m keeping him around. It was free with a purchase at harbor freight. When people pick up a basket to examine, usually first time customers, they inspect everything for glue ups, drill holes, etc. of course, I don’t think half of them know what they are...
                        Today, 09:08 AM
                      • Rolf
                        by Rolf
                        Interesting, I will nee to try that.
                        Today, 08:01 AM
                      • handibunny
                        by handibunny
                        Back in my days of collecting antique pottery, I used to carry a a small blacklight unit to check for repairs that were invisible to the naked eye. I never knew that it could detect glue spots. That's a lot neater than using mineral spirits, or waiting until a sealer coat of shellac reveals missed...
                        Today, 06:22 AM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to My lucky day!
                        by will8989
                        Being a diet controlled type 2 diabetic, I check my glucose. Checked before my shot on Tuesday it was fine. Checked on Wednesday after a morning walk expecting to see less than 100 and about fainted when it read 158. Every check has been 150 or more since then. Started reading and yes, the shots can...
                        Yesterday, 10:37 PM
                      Working...
                      X