It is a sad day for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is a sad day for me.

My 30+ year old Ohio Forge Drill Press is dead..... The motor is seized up solid. That was the oldest tool in my shop, next to my 25 year old Sears radial arm saw.

I do know if I will send it to the scrap medal place or have it mounted on the wall for its devoted 30+ plus years of faithful service....

Rest in peace old buddy.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
    Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
    One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Sorry to hear that Pete. You don't think it can be repaired? I've never done any restoration/major repair work, but based on comments I've seen on other Woodworking sites, the folks over at OWWM know all there is to know about fixing up old machinery. Maybe post a question over there and see what their brain trust thinks. Worth a shot to save a great old machine like that.

VintageMachinery.org | Welcome
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Sorry to hear about your drill press Pete. I agree with Bill, you will probably be able to replace the motor with a few modifications to the mountings. You may be able to remove the motor and have it re-wound. In my career as an industrial electrician I have had many motors away for a re-wind and the cost is not as much as you think. Either way when something has served you well for 30 years I reckon you should find it a quiet corner where it can watch over you.
      Mick
      I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

Just give him a new heart. All ya need to do is lineup a spinning shaft and tape it down.
        From personal experience the Navy and oilfield survive on that kind of engineering.
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Tis a sad day for sure. Perhaps sparky can breath new life into it, but after 30+ years, maybe he needs to retire as well and make room for one of the next generation.
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

30 years old? That's just beginning its life of service!
            I've got a Walker-Turner drill press I bought used 30 years ago, and it had seen plenty of usage (and I think some mis-use) before I got it.

I have not been able to date it accurately, but my guess is it was made in the early 1940's. It is one of the most used tools in my shop. There's not much to a drill press. If the quill is in good shape, everything else is relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. The only exception might be the bearings if custom bearings were used.

They don't build 'em like they used to - breath new life into this one - you'll be glad you did.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by Linda In Phoenix
              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
              Yesterday, 10:01 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
              by will8989
              Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
              Yesterday, 09:53 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by will8989
              Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
              Yesterday, 09:49 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
              Yesterday, 09:32 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Sundays market
              by will8989
              We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
              Yesterday, 08:56 PM
            Working...
            X