Great new technology for saws.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great new technology for saws.

I was surfing around and came across this site.
    Whirlwind Tool Patents Pending Saw Safety Technology Available for Assignment/License

It seems like they have come up with new technology that will be available soon. They are just waiting on their patents to be approved.

I spent quite some time on their sit and it looks like not only will the technology be suitable for table saws but for all saws in our shops including a bandsaw adaptor.

I'm looking forward to this one coming on the market. Just think no more worries about losing a thumb and this new technology does not damage the blade or your saw and can be used over and over again. No mention of price however.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

I was watching the various videos and was wondering what mechanism is used to stop the blade. I was thinking maybe it was some kind of brake on the blade. But then it showed it on the scrollsaw and now I think they may use some type of feedback to the motor to stop the rotation.

waynemn

Comment

He never really explains it. He did say it stops in about 1 second. I was not terribly impressed but later on in another video they say in less than 1/8th of a second so they must have improved the technology.
      "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Looks like a great little idea...All but the scroll saw adapter...I put my fingers right up to the blade almost all of the time, But for dangerous tools I'm intriged...
        Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
        No task is too tedious for Art.
        Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
        Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I agree Jim, I have inadvertently touched my scroll saw blade while cutting on more than one occasion, but for table saw, band saw, or radial arm saw great break through.
          "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

That is very cool, I bet this will be a mandatory thing in cabinet shops and other industrial type companies.

One thing that makes me laugh a little though is...Who was brave/dumb enough to be the one to test this thing, LOL I am sure they probably used a test machine of some sort, but to think of it as actually having someone run a board through a table saw and say
            " ok Tom run this board through here and stick your hand in the blade and see if this stops before if cuts your hand off," LOL

Kevin
            Kevin
            www.KevsKrafts.com

Comment

I like this one better than the last one in that it doesn't self destruct when it's tripped.
              May the wind at you back .....
              Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

ROFL....and grimacing just a tad at the thought. Sort of like who was the first person who decided to eat an egg. Who in their right mind would eat something they just saw another animal ...lets just say--- leave behind.....Yech.
                "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

It is an interesting idea and system, but it looks like it relies upon the operator placing the Guard containing the sensors, in the correct position.
                  Standard guards offer good protection if correctly placed. There are even guards available that will ride up on the timber being cut and so prevent fingers from getting anywhere near the blade.
                  Most accidents happen when the operator does not correctly position the guard, or is doing cuts that can not be done with the guard in place.

I think this system does not address the issue of operator error, carelessness or what ever you like to call it.
                  Regards
                  John
                  "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
                  Some of my Stuff
                  Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

fool proofing!

Any body ,designing a fool proof system ,must be able to bar a fool from its use, other wise ,some fool will defeat the system ,hackers for instance ,radar
                    detectors ,etc ,the mindless chalenge is all it takes ,then there is the govt. and
                    OSHA cowboy ,oh for the days of personal responsibility ,accidents happen
                    every day ,check the maturnity wards, Or better yet, how many of us run some
                    equipment with out a guard or a switch tied off ? My personal favorite ,guard removed for photographic clarity,some people must photgraph a awful lot !

Gun control use both hands!

We do not respond we react!

Carl
                    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X