Lower blade holder for RBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower blade holder for RBI

Has anyone found a replacement for the round nuts that is used to hold the blade on the bottom? There has to be a better way. If not, where can you buy the piece's to make your own?

Thanks!

What model Hawk do you have? My VS26 has "T" shaped screws top and bottom.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

could you try wing nuts ?

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
        I have the VS 220-3 non-variable speed. The holder looks like the picture below. It unscrews into two pieces with a stud holding them together. Thee is a v-notch in the lower arm that it rides in. Just seems like a lot of work just to change a blade.
        Attached Files

Comment

Try contacting Bushton Industries. They are the ones still making the saw and they have spares for many of the saws. Phone is 620-562-3557.
          Last edited by Crabbyboater; 09-08-2011, 12:07 AM.
          John

Excalibur EX21
          RBI Hawk G4

Comment

I have the same saw as yours, the 220 3 speed. Those bladeholders are a pain. I have 6 of them and, depending on the project, set up as many as I think I will need. Do you have the 2 tools to set your blades up? Stamped metal shaped like a letter "f" ?

Paul
            www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbyboater View Post
              Try contacting Bushton Industries. They are the ones still making the saw and they have spares for many of the saws. Phone is 620-562-3557.
              Thanks, I emailed them and are waiting for a price for them.

Comment

Originally posted by paul44224 View Post
                I have the same saw as yours, the 220 3 speed. Those bladeholders are a pain. I have 6 of them and, depending on the project, set up as many as I think I will need. Do you have the 2 tools to set your blades up? Stamped metal shaped like a letter "f" ?

Paul
                No, I don't have them. It sounds like that would be better then using a crescent wrench and open-end wrench. I'll have to contact them to see if I can buy a set. Thanks.

Comment

holder for RBI

There should be an elongated hole in the main base that one side of the barrel fits into and that sort of gives you a free hand to hold the blade in place. I had to build a new lower arm for mine (220VS) to get over to the new holders. At the time I had access to a bridgeport mill. Those holders are a bit of a pain. JIM L

Comment

I found the slot and it helps. It would help if there were more room. Maybe I could make a holder with a slot. I contacted Bushton and the price for the holder with bushing is $25.00 each. That's pricey in my book. The old price was $9.95. I think the way to solve the problem is to adapt a part from another saw. Just have to do some more thinking. LOL

Comment

Check out this site. He has some modified parts and blade holders for RBI saws.

Scroll Saw Retrofit Items

Comment

Thanks Tom J. I sent them a email to see what part I need.

Comment

Have you found a blade holder for your RBI scroll saw?? I just purchased a 220-3 RBI saw and want to improve the blade change method and the time it takes to change a blade.
                          Thanks Dennis

Comment

Holy Cow!!

I thought Hegner had the worst idea for blade clamps. Now I'm not so sure.
                            Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

New lower blade holder

I have the 220 and after using the the blade breaking device that clamps the blade between two round nuts, I decided to build my own. I cut 1/2 inch round aluminum to 1 inch length. I cut two rabbits on one end so it will fit in the original slot for tightening the blades. I drilled a 1/16 hole in the middle across the diameter for a blade to go through. I drilled a 13/64 hole down the middle of the cylinder and and tapped it to 1/4 20 treads. I used 3/8'' dog point set screw from Fasenal on each side of the blade to clamp it. I then cut a 1/2 x 5/8 x 1 inch long bronze bushing to 1/2'' length and drilled a 1/16 hole in one side for the blade to pass through. blades last much longer now. I have made my own upper blade holder thumb screw by filing the last 1/8 of threads off and filing the end flat. The trick to flat is to pull a file across the screw sideways (not the length of the file). I was shocked at how flat I can get a screw end.
                              If I knew how to send drawing I would.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X