Lower blade holder for RBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower blade holder for RBI

Has anyone found a replacement for the round nuts that is used to hold the blade on the bottom? There has to be a better way. If not, where can you buy the piece's to make your own?

Thanks!

What model Hawk do you have? My VS26 has "T" shaped screws top and bottom.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

could you try wing nuts ?

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
        I have the VS 220-3 non-variable speed. The holder looks like the picture below. It unscrews into two pieces with a stud holding them together. Thee is a v-notch in the lower arm that it rides in. Just seems like a lot of work just to change a blade.
        Attached Files

Comment

Try contacting Bushton Industries. They are the ones still making the saw and they have spares for many of the saws. Phone is 620-562-3557.
          Last edited by Crabbyboater; 09-08-2011, 12:07 AM.
          John

Excalibur EX21
          RBI Hawk G4

Comment

I have the same saw as yours, the 220 3 speed. Those bladeholders are a pain. I have 6 of them and, depending on the project, set up as many as I think I will need. Do you have the 2 tools to set your blades up? Stamped metal shaped like a letter "f" ?

Paul
            www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbyboater View Post
              Try contacting Bushton Industries. They are the ones still making the saw and they have spares for many of the saws. Phone is 620-562-3557.
              Thanks, I emailed them and are waiting for a price for them.

Comment

Originally posted by paul44224 View Post
                I have the same saw as yours, the 220 3 speed. Those bladeholders are a pain. I have 6 of them and, depending on the project, set up as many as I think I will need. Do you have the 2 tools to set your blades up? Stamped metal shaped like a letter "f" ?

Paul
                No, I don't have them. It sounds like that would be better then using a crescent wrench and open-end wrench. I'll have to contact them to see if I can buy a set. Thanks.

Comment

holder for RBI

There should be an elongated hole in the main base that one side of the barrel fits into and that sort of gives you a free hand to hold the blade in place. I had to build a new lower arm for mine (220VS) to get over to the new holders. At the time I had access to a bridgeport mill. Those holders are a bit of a pain. JIM L

Comment

I found the slot and it helps. It would help if there were more room. Maybe I could make a holder with a slot. I contacted Bushton and the price for the holder with bushing is $25.00 each. That's pricey in my book. The old price was $9.95. I think the way to solve the problem is to adapt a part from another saw. Just have to do some more thinking. LOL

Comment

Check out this site. He has some modified parts and blade holders for RBI saws.

Scroll Saw Retrofit Items

Comment

Thanks Tom J. I sent them a email to see what part I need.

Comment

Have you found a blade holder for your RBI scroll saw?? I just purchased a 220-3 RBI saw and want to improve the blade change method and the time it takes to change a blade.
                          Thanks Dennis

Comment

Holy Cow!!

I thought Hegner had the worst idea for blade clamps. Now I'm not so sure.
                            Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

New lower blade holder

I have the 220 and after using the the blade breaking device that clamps the blade between two round nuts, I decided to build my own. I cut 1/2 inch round aluminum to 1 inch length. I cut two rabbits on one end so it will fit in the original slot for tightening the blades. I drilled a 1/16 hole in the middle across the diameter for a blade to go through. I drilled a 13/64 hole down the middle of the cylinder and and tapped it to 1/4 20 treads. I used 3/8'' dog point set screw from Fasenal on each side of the blade to clamp it. I then cut a 1/2 x 5/8 x 1 inch long bronze bushing to 1/2'' length and drilled a 1/16 hole in one side for the blade to pass through. blades last much longer now. I have made my own upper blade holder thumb screw by filing the last 1/8 of threads off and filing the end flat. The trick to flat is to pull a file across the screw sideways (not the length of the file). I was shocked at how flat I can get a screw end.
                              If I knew how to send drawing I would.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to Wood identification needed
                                by Rolf
                                This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
                                Today, 07:38 AM
                              • handibunny
                                Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
                                by handibunny
                                I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
                                Today, 07:01 AM
                              • handibunny
                                by handibunny
                                If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
                                Today, 06:59 AM
                              • dgman
                                by dgman
                                The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
                                Yesterday, 10:40 PM
                              • vgraf
                                Wood identification needed
                                by vgraf
                                I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X