Resawing with a Bandsaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resawing with a Bandsaw?

Ok I was given a like new Delta 14" bandsaw and I am planning to resaw with it. I have not picked this up yet but it does have a miter fence and I believe it had a bigger fence on it something like my table saw has. I have not used a bandsaw since high school like 30 years ago, lol

Anyway what type of gadgets do I need to use this to resaw some wood with it? Mostly be sawing like 1" stuff into maybe 1/2" or maybe 1/4" stuff if I can. I don't yet have a planner so maybe this is not possible to do?

On another note I was on vacation to visit my inlaws in Texas and they gave me some chunks of mesquite logs. I was hoping to saw these into some boards with the bandsaw. May not work but I wont be out anything anyway.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin
    www.KevsKrafts.com

I have resawn mesquiet on my band saw and is sure comes out pretty. I cut it to 1/4" thick to use to inlay into other woods. Mostly I resaw oak and cedar though. You need to get a sawblade made for resawing like a "woodslicer". Using a standard bandsaw blade will leave a very rough surface and will require a thickness planer to make it usable. When using my 1/2"woodslicer blade I just need to sand the finish cut. I have a resaw fence that is
    six inches tall. You will need that also. I can resaw up to 12" thick but it is slow going.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Kevin, I have a 14" Delta and I added the riser kit so I can cut up to nearly 12" tall logs or chunks of wood into smaller boardss. The normal 14" bandsaw only allows you to cut up to 5 1/2" thickness I think. I also ordered a WoodSlicer blade from Highland Woodworking.com. I use the 1/2" size. It cuts like butter in dry wood. I'm sure there are other good blades as well, but someone told me about this one and I am passing the information on to you.
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

I resaw my stock on a 14" Grizzly with a riser. I second the motion on using a Woodslicer blade form Highland Hardware.

Wood Slicer Resaw Bandsaw Blades 1/2" (138" to 166") | Bandsaw Blades

I found if I flatten the edges on my jointer and draw a line to follow I get some very even cuts. I use this guide to help.

Bandsaw Resawing Guide
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I made the same jig for the bandsaw Scott, but found I had to remake it so the piece that slides would be able to slide closer to the blade for thinner cuts. When using this jig, make sure to lower the blade guard to keep the blade from wondering around and give a straighter cut.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiilad View Post
            I made the same jig for the bandsaw Scott, but found I had to remake it so the piece that slides would be able to slide closer to the blade for thinner cuts. When using this jig, make sure to lower the blade guard to keep the blade from wondering around and give a straighter cut.
            Yes Larry I agree the design is not perfect and needs so adjustments for very thin stock. Also you might also want to make two with the second one being twice as tall. It helps with wide boards.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I will have to get one of those blades and the tall fence, glad I posted this as I was just going to give it a try to see what happened. The logs I have are not all that tall, maybe 8" tall x about 13 -15" long. We somewhat squared them up with a chain saw. I brought three of them home with me and if it works out ok I could have them ship many more. He has about 30 acres of land that is full of them and he is planning to take most of them out..

Thanks again,
              Kevin
              Kevin
              www.KevsKrafts.com

Comment

For sawing logs I made a guide similar to this one. Kevin Brady - Cutting Small Logs on the Band Saw
                Tony

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X