HELP please! DeWalt - mounting blade to cut from side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP please! DeWalt - mounting blade to cut from side

A review of the DeWalt DW788 says, "Both the upper and lower blade mounting assemblies have a hex screw opposite the tightening thumbscrew that allow you to set the blade to the side (versus front-to-back) perpendicular."

I see the hex screw, but I can't figure out how it would allow me to set the blade to cut toward the side.

I would appreciate some advice if anyone has done this or knows how.

"Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thank you! I think I understand.

Are there any scroll saws that allow you to feed material in from the side and cut from the side. I have a friend who wants to use my saw to cut down the length of wood that is 7' long.

Comment

I think the largest scroll saw has a 30" throat. Sounds like you need a bandsaw or table saw. 7' on a scroll saw is not going to happen.
        Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Just another thought you could use a spiral blade since they cut in every direction. I doubt you will get a very straight cut though on a 7' piece of lumber.
          Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Put the blade in the saw. Do not apply the tension. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the blade about 1/2" below the clamp and twist it around past 90 degrees, it will spring back to about 90 then. Now do the same thing at the bottom clamp. The saw will now cut from the side. You will not be able to straighten the blade back again but it will work for the cut you are tryin gto make.
            Rick Hutcheson
            http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

Maybe you can get the blade twisted 90˚, but even so, making a rip cut on a 7' piece of wood is not what the saw is designed to do. If you do try it, better set up something on the infeed and outfeed sides of the table to stabilize the wood or you'll get it bouncing all over the place.

Definitely better off using a table saw or bandsaw for this kind of work. Sometimes you just have to say "no".
              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I appreciate these replies and ideas.

My friend wants to cut a curving line down the length of the 7' board. I asked if he'd consider another type of saw. He indicated he wanted to use a scroll saw because the blade is very thin (or at least that's my understanding). I think he wants the 2 pieced to fit closely together after cut.

Would that change any of your thoughts?

Comment

I would still try it the same way. He can help by holding the board level as you feed it through the saw.
                  Rick Hutcheson
                  http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

This is really a job for a band saw. Use a narrow blade with a thin kerf and the highest TPI (teeth per inch) you can find. Maybe on of these:

MikesTools.com: Olson Band Saw Blades Flex Back & Thin Kerf - Mike's Tools
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

You might consider using a Japanese Back Saw .

Roger

Comment

Well, it might not be the best tool for the job, but it is kind of cool when people stretch tools to do things they were never intended. I'm very curious to hear the outcome of this endeaver.

As for a scroll saw with clamps that can turn to cut in any direction, there indeed was one saw that claim to be the only saw to do this. It was from the defunct manufacturer of the diamond fretsaw. See the description at Rick's site at: Diamond Saw You don't see those on ebay every day.

------Randy
                        "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

What about a jig saw...you can get som thin blades that cut some great curves. Before I got my scroll saw I cut everything out with my jig saw...with the right blade it won't leave too big of kerf...just make sure you keep it flat and level against your board.
                          ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X