Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 788 Tensioning

Folks:
    I love cutting with my DW788, but not too fond of the tensioning setup. I like to cut with a very tight blade and since day one, it takes going to 5.5/5.5 on the scale to get the right twang out of the blade.

Looked on Rick's site about tune ups for the saw and there was a procedure for turning the top rod one turn clockwise to increase the tension. (I am assuming clockwise in relation to the blade end of the saw, not the motor end.)

Once turn did little to nothing, tried another and another, but the indicator still read 5.5 before the blade felt right.

So, at this point, I'm three turns past the way it was shipped and still not making any difference in the knob.

Any other suggestions? I tried to get the rear cover off to view the wedge, but after removing all the screws on the rear housing, it still will not release the cover. Does the bracket holding the table have to come off also?

This is NOT a make-it-or-break-it thing with me, I just would like to know there is some additional room for more tension when I feel I need it.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jim. The front bracket and table need to be removed as well as the little screws on the bottom arm cover (the cover is actually one piece). This will give you access to the inside. Let us know what you find when you get inside of it.
    Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
    Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
    Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
    Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

Jim, I also tighten my tension to 5 or 5 1/2, but I do not see that as a problem. If I don't have enough tension on the blade after tensioning, I release the tension, push down on the top blade clamp. If there is a bow in the blade, release the top blade clamp while pushing down on the upper arm. The bow will disappear, then re tighten the blade clamp, then reset the tension. It sounds complicated but takes just a couple of seconds.
      Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

I agree with Dan in regerd to removing the "bow".
        By doing so, I usually set tension at 2 -2 1/2, rarely at 3.
        It may be the way it was set up at the factory.
        Jack

Comment

I do the same thing as Dan if I feel I need more tension. Seems this happens when the blade clamps are in higher position when you are putting the blade in. Like Dan said it takes a lot longer to explain the procedure than to do it.
          Tom(tas2181)

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. ...[They] justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves."
          -T. S. Elliot

Comment

I find that making sure the upper arm is pushed into the down possition and reinserting the blade I get the tension I require .
            Also to help to prevent blade slippage . What little lubricant is left over from manufacturing I remove with solvent and a light sanding of the ends .

I notice the blade has a tendency to wander when slipping so I move the lever up a notch or two . If the lever travels too far I know to release the upper blade screw and push the upper arm down .

Pretty much what others have suggested .
            Roger

Comment

I also run my DeWalt at about 5. Found it breaks some more blades then at 4? But I often do the same as dgman

Comment

When you disengage the blade do you push the lever all the way back or just stop at #1? Sometimes that is a problem if you stop at #1, by pushing it back as far as it will go I usually get good tension around 3 or 3 1/2 on my Dewalt788.
                Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Dog View Post
                  When you disengage the blade do you push the lever all the way back or just stop at #1? Sometimes that is a problem if you stop at #1, by pushing it back as far as it will go I usually get good tension around 3 or 3 1/2 on my Dewalt788.
                  WD

Thanks for the thought, but I push all the way back to the stop when messing with the blade clamps.

Guess I'm just going to have to live with what I have. I'm tired of messing with it. Just going to put the covers back on and make some sawdust--and unfortunately some designer firewood.
                  Jim
                  When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                  Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I adjusted mine a couple turns when I got it - finally a couple weeks ago, took top off and got 3 more turns. Did lower it to around 4 - but it seems to be slipping back up to 5.
                    Janette
                    www.square-designs.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                      Reply to Big week here
                      by NC Scroller
                      Leading up to my retirement I too worried about who would replace me. Truth be told I was more worried than my management. It took a couple months after my retirement for the feelings to go away. Now I only miss the people and not the job.
                      Today, 07:32 AM
                    • will8989
                      Bruce, the one on probation
                      by will8989
                      is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                      Today, 12:59 AM
                    • will8989
                      Sundays market
                      by will8989
                      When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                      Today, 12:46 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by will8989
                      I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                      Today, 12:27 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by jim_mex
                      Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                      Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                    Working...
                    X