Fyi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fyi

Bought one of these. It only comes with the plunge saw attachment.but self stick sanding sheets cut to fit work great as a detail sander.
    Big heavy, loud, cheap and works like a champ.

Search results for: 'powertools'
    Attached Files
    May the wind at you back .....
    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

good info oily, can't go wrong for $20.00

Comment

Is that from Harbor Freight?
      Happy Scrolling
      Bill

Comment

Not to be meant to be critical in any way or to toot my own horn. For $20, you can't beat that with a stick. But I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for.

I'm just not a scroller, but a woodworker, and I do mean a serious woodworker. Last year I was in the market for a really good quality "multi-tool" which is the woodworking term for the tool Oily is talking about. I considered many brands priced from $60 to $500 and decided on the expensive one. The Fein tool is a serious tool. The minute you pick it up, you notice the difference when comparing it to the Craftsman, Rockler, PC etc. etc. But dishing out $500 is for the serious wood worker, like replacing a section of a hardwood floor. With my Fein tool, I managed to cut out a 3.5 inch X 16 inch piece of oak floor located in the center of the floor, and after living with the defect for 26 years, my wife could not locate the patch work.

The tool came with a wide assortment of blades for wood, metal and tile. It has profile sanders and much more. But the price was very high.

So think about your needs in that tool, quality, price, and future. I still have doubts about the money I dished out for my tool, but then because of my needs, oily's purchase would have meant throwing out that $20. To conclude... from Oily's needs and future, he made a better purchase then myself. From my perspective, I made the deal. Good luck everyone!
        It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

NHokpic,
          I have owned my Fein tool for 8 years and still works awesome. I do install hardwood flooring for a living, although the past few years have been much slower. I agree with you about buying tools. I use this on a daily basis and have had good luck with it. When new was over $350.00. I also have a Dremel Multi-tool. It was around $100.00. It has worked good but after using the Fein for many years, you can feel the difference. The Dremel has a few features that are nice. Holes in blade that keep it from rotating. Blades are cheaper. They are awesome tools.
          "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

I figure tools from Harbor Freight are "demo units". Pick one up from HF, see if it's potentially useful--if so, buy a "real" version. Otherwise, I'm only out a few bucks . Sometimes the HF version works out well--got a lot of bar clamps from them that do the job.

David

David Griffin
            Tuliptree Craft
            s

Comment

I'm so sick and tired of buying "made in China" stuff but shoot, you can hardly find anything made in the USA anymore. If there is a multi tool made in the USA I'd buy it for sure.

Comment

Yea, it's hard to find things made in America. My wife and I were talking about it while she was looking at her clothes, checking out the tags. She started to laugh and told me she found 1 jacket with a "made in USA" tag on it. It was the jacket she bought while in Canada!

Comment

Originally posted by NHokpic View Post
                  She started to laugh and told me she found 1 jacket with a "made in USA" tag on it. It was the jacket she bought while in Canada!
                  I said to my wife the other week. You know whats happening here. Everything Made in America is being exported to other countries. And everything made in other countries is being exported to America.
                  Bill

Dewalt 788 Type 1

Comment

Oily keep us posted on how this tool holds up for you. I know there was a big discussion about Harbor Freight tools a while back whith lots of pro and con opinions. These day all I will buy from them are things like air hoses etc.

NHokpic
                    I also bought the Fein when it was the only game in town. It has and continues to serve me well. It has bailed me out on lots of household renovation projects.

I think the HF version is great for the occasional user and hobbyist I look at them as throw aways and they have there place especially for $19. I wonder about the availability of blades for it.
                    Last edited by Rolf; 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf - Core-eagle - and others: I agree 100% with you. I will not buy any tools with moving parts from Harbor Freight, Sears and others because I'm a serious woodworker. But for lots of folks like the weekend warrior (been there and done that) who occasionally use a specific tool to do touch up jobs etc. HF, Craftsman, Ryobi etc are the perfect tool for you as they were for me at a time in my life. And I'm not saying this with any disrespect to all who buy these tools. I just want to remind you, I was once in your shoes when I was busy raising our 4 sons and being a Scoutmaster (20 years +) for them and their friends.

But they grew up and I found myself with more time on my hands. I built myself my dream ultimate man cave (24 ft X 24 ft) wood working shop and learned wood working skills. Over those years, I saved my money (coffee break money and spending cash) and bought very nice tools. I didn't settle for any sharpening system, I bought a Tormek with most jigs. I bought a cabinet saw, not a contractor's saw. And you know I own a Fein multi tool etc.

Now I'm an early retired person and a very serious wood worker. If my Teamsters union pension fund ever folds, I know I can earn some cash with my tools and skills. That's where I'm at in my life.

For those of you buying the less quality tools, I mean no disrespect for your choices. I've been there, done that. When my wife and I give to charities, we are always thankful to be in the position of giving rather then receiving. I post my comments in the same spirit!

Comment

Bought one of these about 2 years ago. Was real cheap as I had other coupons.

I have used it for a few trim jobs and it did a great job.

It is cheap yes.

The blades will pop out easily if you don't lock it down real well. There are just little dimples and holes to fit in.

I buy "good" when I am going to use it all the time like my saw is a EX-21 and my lathe is a Nova, etc.

For a person who is only going to use this a few times this is a good deal. If I was going to use every day I would not buy.

Don
                        Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

All my life when it came to tools I've always had the best but when you lose 80K income you can't be so picky and my only interest was to use it as a detail sander.
                          I do have to admit for a china knock off the bar seems to have been raised.
                          May the wind at you back .....
                          Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Sorry to hear about your income loss - we all know there are worse things to loose. Congratulations on your wise and calculated purchase. My Fein multitool would definitely be an overkill for detail sanding.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                              Today, 06:47 PM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Plastic puzzle
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                              Today, 06:38 PM
                            • Jim Finn
                              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                              by Jim Finn
                              The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                              Today, 04:48 PM
                            • MidMich324
                              Reply to Plastic puzzle
                              by MidMich324
                              Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                              Today, 03:57 PM
                            • RJweb
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by RJweb
                              As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                              Today, 03:42 PM
                            Working...
                            X