power carver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power carver

Last weekend I attended a local woodworking expo at the local lumberyard. My wife surprised me and bought me the foredom professional power carving kit. I don't get new tools often. I'm pretty excited and happy that I can ditch the dremel. Can't wait to fire this up on my next intarsia...this opens the door to even more possibilities.
    I also noticed that it comes with several different grits of super tiny flap sanders that can reach down into the smallest grooves you can imagine...now that's gotta be handy.
    Jeff Powell

Jeff,
    Congratulations on the new toy - oops! - tool. What a peach of a wife you have.
    You may want to wait a while before actually ditching the Dremel. I'm not sure which Foredom you got, but sometimes the Dremel is just the right size. I'd advise keeping it tucked away for just such a time.
    Also, on those little flap sanders - check them out on scrap first - the ones I have take a lot of "breaking in" to be very useful - and even then they sometimes leave nasty grooves where the flapper ends - on the side, I guess that would be. Much sanding and a few very blue cuss words can usually fix it, but be aware, OK?
    I've been experimenting with a bunch of little (maybe 2"x2", or 5cm x 5cm) pieces of denim - just roughly cut and mounted on that little mandrel with the screw on the end. Dressed with a tiny bit of some compound (still experimenting with which is best), it makes a pretty good tool for getting into crevices, and the edges haven't gouged anything (yet).
    Have fun, and hug that terrific wife!
    Sandy

Comment

Congratulations on the new tool! And recieving it as a gift just makes it even sweeter. Have fun, and I look forward to seeing what all you do with it.
      Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

you all know the scrubbing pads made by 3M.. they work good to get some smooting done.

take one and cut it in a circle or what ever shape you want to. Then place a bolt with a nut thru the center then hook into your drill.

I wood carve and sometimes you have what we call Fuzzies in places that are hard to get to. the scrubbing pads work great.

dale in south mo

Comment

I actually prefer the Scotchbrite pads to the 3M pads...they seem to hold up better for me...but I use mine in a micro-motor, so it might be the speed-issue!

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

thanx guys..those are some interesting idea's that I haven't heard before.
            Jeff Powell

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• markdavd
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by markdavd
              I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
              Today, 09:45 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
              Today, 07:42 AM
            • will8989
              by will8989
              None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
              Today, 12:20 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              by Linda In Phoenix
              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
              The bags seem easier on the surface.
              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
              Yesterday, 03:24 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
              Yesterday, 10:32 AM
            Working...
            X