Dewalt 788 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt 788 Issue

I own 2 Dewalt 788's and wanted to pass along the following information to others that have one since I've now experienced the same issue on both saws.

I posted a while back ago about the linkage coming apart on the motor cam inside the unit. Well it's happened again, only this time on my other saw. The first time I thought it might be caused by pulsing the saw with the foot pedal but the second saw does not have a foot pedal on it so that blows that theory.

For those of you that hear the knocking noise it might be worth the effort of taking it apart to check this connection. This saw had started knocking for a week or two prior and I tried turning the tension rod as shown on Rick H's site. It quieted down a little but then the connection came apart and wouldn't cut. My son was using it when he came to me and said the blade was vibrating but not cutting. Upon taking it apart there was the screw and washer sitting inside with the linkage sitting loose. Not easy to get back together but once done it runs like a top. I'm thinking a little loctite would have been a good idea but if it happens again I'll try and get some on it. Hope this might help someone else should they run into it.
    Attached Files
    Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
    Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
    Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
    Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Mine is kind of knocking - but more like a creaking noise and it sounds like it's on the lower arm closer to the front. While you had it apart, did you notice anything in the front area that could come loose?
    Janette
    www.square-designs.com

Comment

Don, can I add you post and picture to the fixes on my web site. More people might see it there in the future?
      Rick Hutcheson
      http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

@Janette - Now that you mention it closer to the time when it completely came apart it kind of sounded like what you describe. I was looking at the lower clamp assembly thinking something was going on there but never found anything loose. I had looked into it and saw on Rick's site where someone had an issue with the bearing wearing out there but mine looked to be intact. When I had it open I did not see anything else that looked to be a problem and it (knocking on wood) seems to be running fine now.

@Rick - please do. Your site has helped me as well as many others. When I have an issue with the saw it's usually the first place I look.
        Don

Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
        Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Don. Pictures sure do help, so thanks for that too.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thank you Don, it is on my site now with you name and web site link too.
            Rick Hutcheson
            http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

Don, on your Dewalts were they Type 1 or Type 2 machines?
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks for the post .

Roger

Comment

Both are Type 1's
                  Don

Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

this same thing happened to mine so I did put loctite on it ...... sold it and bought a Hagner.
                    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X