How to hold a coin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hold a coin

I want to scroll saw some coins but I need to make them thinner so they can be bent. Any ideas how to hold a coin against a disk sander, try to remove about a 1/3 of it without taking you life in your own hands?
    Scott in Round Rock, Texas

Double sided carpet tape on a larger piece of wood should work, I got a roll at Lowes's and use it constantly to saw small pieces of wood, and sand, safety glasses a MUST. Eager to see your project.
    Last edited by Wood Dog; 08-25-2011, 04:02 PM.
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Comment

Use a fostner bit and make your hole the depth you need and glue your coin in the hole. When you cut your coin super glue it to a piece of 1/4" something so you can hold it. You may also like to make a hold down stick (like a Popsicle stick) and hold your coin as close to the blade as you can and cut at a slow saw speed and pause often to keep the heat down. You can clean the super glue off with fingernail polish remover.
        Attached Files
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Originally posted by PatteM View Post
          Hope you're not using US minted coins:

Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined
          at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation
          as money within the United States; or

Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings
          into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified,
          scaled, or lightened—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
          Not a problem as long as you aren't defrauding anyone.
          Besides they aren't worth the air they're printed on
          Not be from Lunch.

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

Comment

Besides they aren't worth the air they're printed on.

True for every US coin except for the Silver American Eagle dollar coin. But thats an oz. of 99.99999% pure silver and thats worth too much to cut up.

Go Figure.

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER View Post
              Besides they aren't worth the air they're printed on.

True for every US coin except for the Silver American Eagle dollar coin. But thats an oz. of 99.99999% pure silver and thats worth too much to cut up.

Go Figure.
              Nickles have nickle in them too and are tough to cut. I think 1978 is the cut off for copper pennies. The solid copper ones look better cut than the new ones.
              Not be from Lunch.

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                by cwmagee
                Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                Today, 03:36 PM
              • Sandy Oaks
                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                by Sandy Oaks
                So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                Today, 02:56 PM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                by NC Scroller
                I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                Today, 11:24 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Big week here
                by NC Scroller
                Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                Today, 11:18 AM
              • jim_mex
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by jim_mex
                Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                Today, 09:17 AM
              Working...
              X