dw788 Problems/Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dw788 Problems/Questions

Well, I went ahead and bought a DW788, hoping that I'd get a "good" one. Looks like that might have been a mistake. Don't like the idea of fixing a new $460 tool, but I'd rather do that then send it back to Amazon. So....

I set it on the bench and right away I could see that it didn't sit level. The bench top is level, but when I square the blade to the table, the table is WAY off. I had to use a 1/4" shim under the right front, and 1/16" under the back to get it level. Also, looks like the blade moves side to side slightly at the table suface when it's running. The top arms seem OK, but the bottom arms are sloppy side to side.
    Also, the upright in the back and the top arm move easily side to side, like it wasn't tightened up correctly. I'm heading down to the shop now to pull the shims and take a closer look at things and see what I can see.Any suggestions?

Take or ship it back and get a new one. Don't start making adjustments and void your warranty.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I'm with Mike -- Check to see if you have a DeWalt service center somewhere close and take it in. They will fix it or give you a new one. IMHO, that is much better than trying to live with or fix something that is not right.
      Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was going to do, but caused myself a problem. I found that the lower short arms (I forget what they're called) were cast wrong. They both bend out to the right, so the blade tilts instead of running straight up and down. When I shimmed the saw, I was just twisting the frame to align the top and bottom blade clamps. I pushed on the arms and the lower (larger) one snapped off. Didn't push that hard, either. Really kind of a cheap die cast part. So, rather than risk having my return refused and the resulting hassel, I called the DeWalt factory service center, told Dan my story, and he's sending both arms free. Nice of him to do that.
        Hopefully that'll solve the problem. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Defintely send it back! I have a type 1. No problems for several years when it started blowing the fuse. Thinking I can fix anything, by ruling out everything but the circuit board and motor, I spent about $80 for a new one. That wasn't the problem. Believe now it may be the motor @ $208. So, 80 + 208 =$288, plus tax. The DW Service Center will rebuild my saw for a flat $249, regardless of what is defective. Send it back and let them straighten it out--it's the least expensive route.
          Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

I bought one this month on Amazon also. It ran for about an hour then started seriously knocking and vibrating above speed 4 (could not cut and it was bolted to a bench). Sent it back to Amazon on Monday, had a new replacement on Thursday. Amazon paid all shipping charges also. New one seems ok so far. I did notice s/n of defective one started with 2011 11-xxxx, replacement was 2010 4-xxxx, not sure if this reflects a date of mfg. or not.
            good luck
            Mike
            Mike

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
              Reply to Big week here
              by Chuck Hans
              Congrats on all accounts,
              I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
              Today, 08:51 PM
            • cwmagee
              Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
              by cwmagee
              Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
              Today, 03:36 PM
            • Sandy Oaks
              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
              by Sandy Oaks
              So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
              Today, 02:56 PM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
              by NC Scroller
              I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
              Today, 11:24 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Big week here
              by NC Scroller
              Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
              Today, 11:18 AM
            Working...
            X