I had a nasty problem with my DW 788 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a nasty problem with my DW 788 today

And I'm a bit curious, if anyone else has had a similar problem.

While I was working on a project this morning the blade tension mechanism on my saw let loose. No!! I don't mean the blade came loose, I mean the whole mechanism came loose. The saw started making a grinding noise and the tension on the blade was gone. I tightened the blade holder again and started to cut and it happened again, I actually watched the tensioning lever work it's way loose.

I removed the cover and underneath was a large bolt holding the mechanism together. Once I removed the bolt and the lever, I could see some ominous metal shavings and I wondered if I would need a new tensioner. I gave the tensioner a good cleaning, and removed the shavings, when I looked closely at the bolt, I could'nt see any wear. However there was quite a burr around the hole where the bolt came out, so I sanded that down and cleaned away all the shavings. I re-assembled the mechanism and tightened the bolt and everything seems to be working OK for now.
    I had noticed prior to the grinding noise, that the tensioner was getting very hard to move.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

I have not heard of this before. Hopefully any others with a yella saw will chime in. Did it appear that the bolt worked itself loose or what? Could you determine where the metal shaving came from?I never tore my saws apart to see whats in there, so I am clueless. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale, I was not able to determine where the shavings came from, because there was no wear on the bolt, the threads all look fine. The bolt was not loose, it took a lot of power for me to get it loose. What concerned me the most was, what created the burr, or perhaps the burr was there from the factory and this is what was grinding everytime I moved the lever, The lever rides metal to metal and I wondered if this is where the shavings came from.
      Perhaps Rick H. will respond to this thread and enlighten us a bit further. He might even have some info about this on his video, unfortunately I'm unable to download them.
      Marsha
      LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

On topic

Hi Marsha,

I moved your thread here since it definitely is on topic

Regards,
        Marcel
        http://marleb.com
        DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
          Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
          by jim_mex
          Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
          ingers crossed
          Today, 07:35 PM
        • cwmagee
          Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
          by cwmagee
          I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
          Today, 05:39 PM
        • jim_mex
          Reply to New tools
          by jim_mex
          Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
          Today, 05:26 PM
        • Rolf
          Reply to New tools
          by Rolf
          Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
          My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
          Today, 04:32 PM
        • Rolf
          Reply to Big week here
          by Rolf
          Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
          Today, 04:19 PM
        Working...
        X