Does anyone use a home-made saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use a home-made saw?

I checked out a book "The Workshop Companion-Using the Scroll Saw" by Nick Engler. There is a wonderful plan for one that looks like it would do very well. Since I seem to find more pleasure in the trip than the destination I think I will try my hand at it. I was just curious if anyone uses one that was home built and how it compares to a store bought one. (ie. price to build compared to buy one, effectiveness, sturdiness.)

There is a lot to be said about any tool you build yourself, especially one so complex. I was originally planning on building one till I found the cheapo. It would be worth building to move up from 3 inch blades.

are you talking about one made of wood...like what a marquetoure would use?

or is this some sort of motorized deal?

used to be hundreds of designs of saws used my marquetoure's, but they usually require spining large metal weight wheels or pedalling to drive the blade. They are slow, but for certain marquetry applications, they are still prefered to this very day.
    I know some people still use these, but I sure don't. I can't imagine how many hours it would take to cut a few pieces of bloodwood or purpleheart with one of those.
    Jeff Powell

Comment

I dont use one personally but Ive seen patterns for a wooden one on some of the pattern sites Ive been to ,they are completely out of wood minus the blades as far as I can tell .
      Charlie
      "Everything Happens for a Reason"
      Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

If you go to
        http://www.scrollsaws.com/
        You can get plans for a couple different styles of them.
        Scroll down on the list on the left side until you see New Pattern Page and just below that click on Foot Scroll Saw.

You mentioned building one until you can get a cheapo. It will probably cost you more to build one by time you buy a pattern and all the pieces and you will not have the convenience and features of a new entry level motorized scroll saw but you would have the satisfaction of making it and it could be used anywhere that electric power was not available.
        W.Y.
        http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I made a saw once. It is a challenge to make from scratch with no plans

I have to say that Rick H's plans are very reasonably priced for the amount of design work that goes into it.

The saw I made had parallel arms. The spring mechanism was a bungee cord and the whole thing clamped into a Workmate type bench.

The treadle was a simple cord with a foot loop.
          The blade clamps were two wooden wheels clamped on a carriage bolt with a thumbscrew. The blade was clamped between the wheels.

Now a list of the problems.

With this type of treadle for each down stroke of the foot you only get one stroke of the blade.
          The blade clamps did not pivot. This flexed the blade at both ends.
          The blade does not move in a parallelogram.
          The saw was simply clamped in the workmate. As I used it at the show over the weekend the saw started to slip in the frame. It needed a better base.
          The lower arm could use some sort of lateral control to enable the blade to travel a more vertical path

I still want to build another treadle saw I have an old Singer treadle waiting to be harnessed. I will work out all the problems because like you say there is something about building and using your own tools.
          I have a few links on my site that may give you some ideas.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

NOW this would be a fun thing to try. I just love a chalandg. Carl do you have any pictures of yours. how fun. Evie

Comment

As interesting as making one would be just for the conversation piece, I couldn't justify it. I found a good book at the library that had a nice plan, but by the time you buy the hardwood plywood, the motor mechanism, and the blade clamps, you might as well buy a new one. And I did.

I bought the reconditioned Delta unit from Homier for $39. Before anyone says they are junk, it is like driving a caddy compared to the 3" pin blade saw I was using. That one goes to the boy and he is happy as a pig in mud.

I haven't spent any time on it yet with all the other projects I have going, I am trying to start a small business on top of everything but I will post projects when done.
              Joe

Comment

Here are some pics for Evie
                there are close ups of the blade clamps, the blade tensioner and the arms of the saw.
                The bungee cord just fastened onto the back of the bottom blade.
                The whole thing is oak, the pivots are just dowels. The lower tab was clamped into the workmate. A small table with a hole in it was place on the table and the blade was thread through the hole.

If the blade clamps were suspended on a small piece of metal then they would pivot correctly and reduce flexing on the blade.

Not pretty but it did work
                Attached Files
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by will8989
                  None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                  Today, 12:20 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                  The bags seem easier on the surface.
                  But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                  Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                  Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                  Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by NC Scroller
                  I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                  Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                Working...
                X