Can't get the blades in right...help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get the blades in right...help.

New beginner that I am, I can't seem to get the blades in right. I have a DeWalt788 Scroll Saw. I try to put the bottom part in first (blindly), and then the top. Very, very frustrating. Is their a method? Should I be looking at something I am not?
    I know this is a simple question, but a burning one.

Hi Judy, and welcome to the forum.
    I have a dewalt 788 myself and I'll try and help you get the blade in.
    First make sure the tension is completely off. (the tension handle should be all the way to the right)
    Set the blade in the top blade holder first, allow the rest of the blade to go through the hole in the saw table, make sure the blade is straight and the teeth are facing you. Tighten the wing nut until the blade is held secure. If the blade is straight it will practically fall straight into the bottom holder, lightly push the blade back into the bottom clamp and tighten the wing nut. The blade should be above the top holder just enough that you can feel it, you should also be able to feel the tip of the blade at the bottom of the bottom clamp. Give a little tug on the blade to make sure both ends are secure, and now apply the tension. Push the tension handle all the way to the left. Turn your saw on and let the blade run for a couple of seconds, this will release some of the spring from the blade, shut the saw off, release the tension, and reset the blade in the top clamp. Retension the blade and you should be good to go.
    I hope this helps and good luck with your scrolling
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Hi Judy and welcome
      The only thing I can add to Marsha's post is that you might also try fully raising the arm first. I have found that a piece of 2 x 4 on edge fits perfectly at the back and holds the arm up nicely. For me it just makes it easier to attach at the top. Just be sure to push the blade back slightly when lowering the arm so it feeds into the hole. As Marsha said, it should be right in place
      Good luck and make some sawdust !
      ...~Robert~
      DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Another thing I find helpful as I get older is to mark where the top of the blade should go with a bit of fingernail polish, and I also mark the top of the blades with fingernail polish (or whiteout, or whatever).

Comment

Hi Judy
          I too have a DW788. What you read here from the others will really help you alot. In time all you will have to do is fell the bottom blade to get it in place, without looking. Have fun and take your time. You will be a old pro in no time. Well maybe not OLD *LOL*

Comment

Hi Judy,

The above advice is good, but you don't really tell us what it is you find frustrating in your experience trying to get the blade in. More details would be helpful in trying to alleviate your pain .

You need to make sure the blade is not too low in the bottom arm holder or you won't be able to attach the blade to the top arm. If you have a Type 2 DW788, there is not much play to get the blade in correctly.

Practice will get you to know how much blade can go in the holder when you first attach it. Once you know the length limitations, then you can "feel" your way to insert the correct length in the bottom holder.

When attaching the blade to the second holder I find that I have to push(squeeze) the arms toward one another sometimes, in order to have a minimum of distance between the holders. Not sure if this is due to my saw or the Easy-lift arm attachment I added.

Regards,
            Marcel
            http://marleb.com
            DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Marcel,

I too push down the upper arm to get the minimum distance. I believe it is from the EZ Lift Arm myself. But that is a small price to pay for the convenience of it.

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate the help from all of you. I had no directions on how to put the blade in, so now I will keep these beside me--and hopefully, the blade won't keep coming out of one end or the other. What a wonderful message board!!
                Thanks,
                Judy

Comment

It's not the message board that's wonderful, it's the messengers.

Good luck Judy. Someday, when I can afford a Dewalt, maybe I'll have to ask you for advice.
                  Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                  www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

If you have the Type 2 saw, the distance between the bottom clamp and the top clamp is too short and DeWalt "claims" they are working on the problem. They have been telling me this for two years now. Somthing to do with a "wedge" inside that keeps the arms too far apart.
                    I fasten the top clamp first with as little of the blade I can and then the bottom. VERY frustrating.

Comment

Dutch:

You may already know this:

Blade imported from overseas, like Flying Dutchman and Pegas are actually made to a convient metric lenght which in round numbers is 5.110 inches or there abouts. (an 1/8 inch = 0.125)

One company in USA still makes bades at the 5.00 inches range. If you are having problems with blade lenghts being too short. Give Pegas blades a shot, as the sample blades I purchased they were the longest. Aside: in my saw, Pegas blades were too long and I had to snip them down.

Phil

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X