No announcement yet.

Dust collection suggestion for EX21??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the table on the European version is the same size as the US version, I'd be interested in hearing if the two are interchangeable and the cost to do so! All things being equal, it "should" be a simple process.
    Retired..... Most days!!
    PhD in grandkid spoiling
    Taking it as easy as I can in the Piedmont section of North Carolina

Comment

Thanks for the information Norm. It is good to have the input from a manufacturers point of view.
      I am very pleased with my Excalibur.
      Funny before I got my Excalibur I was really thinking about getting a saw manufactured in the UK, but the shipping and converting to North American standards made it impractical.
      I do like the thought of accessories, that way the cost of the saw remains a constant.
      I would love to see a simple dust collector shaped like a shopvac floor nozzle. If it had magnetic clips it could be easily removed for maintenance or blade changes.

Other accessories could be circle cutting jigs, adjustable fences etc.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the warm welcome!
        As we continue looking for ways to improve, all constructive feedback and suggestions are appreciated.
        Woodhants; thanks for the feedback and yes, we are looking at the possibility of offering it as an extra. If we do, we will need to apply for and obtain North American safety approvals before it gets to market, and this can take a while...
        Terry Jay; I'm in full agreement about Seyco and I'm sure Ray appreciates your kind words. By the way, the dust outlet on the U.K. EX-21 requires connection to a user supplied vacuum or dust collector to actually extract the dust. So I'm sorry to tell you we haven't yet figured out how to solve your noise concerns.
        Xray; If dust extraction is the number one factor in your decision making process, then perhaps the Seyco system that Terry Jay mentions would be a viable option for you, but only you can know this for sure. Like most informed consumers, you will certainly do your due diligence and weigh all of the pros and cons, before making your decision on how best to spend your hard-earned money, based on your personal priorities.
        sbarnhardt; perhaps my PM didn't get through...it is going to take more than a few days to do a thorough analysis, but as promised, once I have a definitive answer I will get back to you.

As a manufacturer, we really don't want to monopolize your forum, but I will drop in now and again if I think I can make a positive contribution to a conversation.
        Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm Frampton View Post
          Xray; If dust extraction is the number one factor in your decision making process, then perhaps the Seyco system that Terry Jay mentions would be a viable option for you, but only you can know this for sure. Like most informed consumers, you will certainly do your due diligence and weigh all of the pros and cons, before making your decision on how best to spend your hard-earned money, based on your personal priorities.

Norm
          Not so sure I implied that dust extraction is the number one factor in my decision making process - It is a factor, no doubt, and I note you avoided the question, which was why can the $200 Hitachi, and no doubt other lower end models, offer elementary dust collection systems, and the $500 cannot do it, without raising the price even further ?

Of course, you can argue that "this is the way it was designed, and to redesign it will cost $$". Seems like a design flaw to me, and I don't see why the $ should be passed to the potential customer.
          Just about every dust producing tool in my inventory, from a $25 palm sander to a $750 table saw, has a dust collection system.
          Belt sanders, chop saws, grinders, routing tables all have them ,,, And I can't say whether or not I would have purchased them if they didn't have dust ports, simply because I was never presented with that choice before.

Comment

Thanks Norm, Well there are 40,000 Hegners scrollsaws in use at schools here in the U.K. all with dust extraction ! It's seems that the German consumer testing group TuV is used by your supplier in the U.K. for C.E. marked products , Can this be used in the U.S.A. as step towards a certificate in all U.S. states ? Yes it does cost, Safety is not cheap ! But very expensive when it goes wrong.

Comment

woodhants - I had no idea that the U.K. educational market was so big, thanks for the info.
              I have had some dealings with CSA years ago with another manufacturer, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert on this whole subject. However, I do know that consumer safety approvals, CE, CSA, UL etc...are generally dealt with at the factory. The engineers and production co-ordinators deal direct with the inspectors from the different agencies, or their approved testing groups.
              Local approvals such as the modifications for the U.K. are usually dealt with by the local importer/distributor who deals with whichever local agency has jurisdiction.
              Unfortunately an approval from one agency does not save any few steps towards the certification process with another. Each agency has their own application procedures with their own criteria and rules to navigate. Thankfully there is some overlap, so it's not like each model has to be redesigned from top to bottom to meet the requirements of each agency.
              You'll get no arguments here regarding safety; these agencies serve a very important role.

Comment

I wonder if one could purchase just the table top with the built in dust collection attachment and if it can be placed on the ours....mmmmm

www.pajarostudiowns.com
                Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
                One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

I think people expect to see their tools evolve/improve, especially where there is a feature gap. Drilling some holes in the table and adding on the plastic dust port (probably an oversimplification) seems like an easy way to add value and buzz around this product. I think General would see the benefit of this move, even if they kept the price the same.

As for me, I've already dumped my money, so the table difference wouldn't put me in the market to buy another one. However, those that are on the fence, comparing saws feature for feature, they might be persuaded by one of these improvements. I've got "used" to the green, but for the US Market where folks are more prone to associate green with Grizzly/Harbor Freight/etc than they are General, I think a color change would help greatly.

-----------Randy
                  "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X