Dust collection suggestion for EX21??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collection suggestion for EX21??

Has anyone come up with a good, efficient dust collection solution for an EX21?

Thanks!!
    Retired..... Most days!!
    PhD in grandkid spoiling
    Taking it as easy as I can in the Piedmont section of North Carolina

Why no dust collection for American saws?

The European version of the Excalibur and Hegner saws have dust collection. The Excalibur even has holes in the table to aid in dust extraction. Why they don't sell these same saws in the U.S. is a mystery to me. It's akin to selling cars with anti-lock brakes and airbags in Europe, but not including these features on the SAME model in the U.S..

I know this doesn't help with your question... Sorry!

Here are websites showing these saws with dust extraction. Look at the pics for the Excalibur with the holes in the table. Neat idea!

Buy Excalibur EX-21 Scrollsaw from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

3.6.3 [email protected] CLASSIC

Jim K.

Comment

Jim K.

I found that fascinating and they are not that horrid green color. That is odd they have differing standards.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hmmm, when I contacted General and ask why they used the puke green (and complained about that color), I got a long answer relating to how the color was green because of the long history of the company and the connection of that color with company and yada yada. Sounds like I was fed a load of . . . . or else they have been listening. Seems odd that they would go to the trouble to build it two different ways. Maybe this is a glimpse of things to come.

------Randy
        "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

you may want to check out this thread in the puzzle section.....i initiated the thread and currently i am in the process of building a fan unit...with me quiet is the key...hope this helps..

bob
          http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scr...zles/35816.htm
          "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

If you go to the following thread you can see my setup. It is extremely effective. You won't see any dust above or below the table.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/too...ades/32953.htm
            L. Keith Graves
            Graves Wooden Puzzles
            www.gravespuzzles.com
            Handcrafted Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles

Comment

Looks great! I used the flexible aluminum type dryer hose on mine and it really
              looks terrible now that it is all bent up from moving it around! I keep moving it to other sanding areas, the drill press, etc.
              But, it still keeps the dust away from me!
              God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                Jim K.

I found that fascinating and they are not that horrid green color. That is odd they have differing standards.
                I noticed the UK version with the dust collection is 240v. Would they possibly paint it a different color to visually differentiate between the two. Quick recognition??
                Retired..... Most days!!
                PhD in grandkid spoiling
                Taking it as easy as I can in the Piedmont section of North Carolina

Comment

My Ex 21 is the same green and it has a 240v motor

Comment

Hello everyone, my name is Norm Frampton from General International. I wanted to comment on some of the questions and speculation brought up in this thread.

A link was posted for a U.K. tool distributors’ web site showing a white version of the Excalibur by General International scroll saws with two additional add-ons; One being the under table dust collection outlet and the other is the optional blade guard upgrade, model EX-02, not to mention the different electrical components required to meet the safety standards and voltage to suit the country of use.

Without divulging anything confidential in our distribution arrangement with them, we can tell you that this version of the saw was developed specifically for this distributor at their request because in the U.K., products of this type destined for use by professional and educational users are required to be in compliance with certain local safety regulations that are above and beyond the standard requirements for CE approval, which is the European equivalent of UL or CSA.

As for the paint job, this was also done at the request of this specific importer/distributor, and based on the volume of saws and the economies of scale involved; we were able to fulfill their request for a minimal additional cost.

At this time, we have no plans to change from our standard General/General International color, but the blade guard upgrade is available and can be ordered from your retail distributor as part #EX-02. Installation instructions can be found on our website to give you an idea of what is involved.

For several reasons, including increased cost to the consumer, we had no plans to offer the saw with this dust collection outlet in North America at this time. However, after seeing the comments on this forum, perhaps it is time to reconsider. Knowing that additional cost would be involved, if you feel this should be included in the next generation of Excalibur saws, please feel free to send me your comments either via private message here on the forum, or through the “contact us” button on our website.

Thank you!

Comment

Fran, it is nice to see you visit the forums and contribute directly. Please don't be a stranger as input on relevant topics adds incredible value and shows that the manufacturer is interested in keeping abreast of issues raised in the community.

-------Randy
                      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Hello Norm. That answer in the last section is a load of waffle ! Why should your customers not have the best European standards ? After all It shows your firms attitude towards a standard product , You said Cost was a factor for dust extraction - You could do the same as Hegner and put it on the extras list for the EX saws , Scroll saw magazine has always stated it's policy on Health and Safety towards Dust Extraction in the workshop, In all issue's of the last 10 years.

Comment

Norm Frampton:

You have a very good product and you have a knowledgeable distributor at Seyco.

Dust control is an issue. Ray offers a box fan and vacuum cleaner solution that works. But noise is also an issue, and you saw is very quiet. If you have dust control solutions I would like to know more about them. Anything that improves the cutting process and eliminates health risks is good.

Mass customization has been discussed as the marketing concept to replace one size fits all. And also consider the characteristics of who your users are and what other available choices they are likely to make. Sorry about belaboring the obvious, but it just seems to this recent buyer that a premium manufacturer of a premium product would want to offer superior choices/options to the customer base. Differentiation, or who the heck ever heard of a scroll saw with options?
                          Terry
                          Got Moose?

Comment

Not sure how Hitachi [CW40] can offer a fine dust extraction solution for under $200, and EX can't for $500 +.
                            I'm about ready to upgrade and the EX16 was a shoe-in until I found out about this.

Couldn't really care any less about color, but something as routine as collecting dust in a dust producing machine seems pretty basic.

Comment

Norm, thanks for your comments on this thread. It is nice to see a company interested enough in Customer Service to post comments. I am an EX16 user and love it, but would very much like an under saw dust collection system as an option. keep up the great work.
                              The system shown on this thread is very creative and I am considering making the modification to my saw. Thanks for the great ideas.
                              Doug
                              Taking It Real Easy
                              Doug

Doug's Wood Puzzles and Gallery

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X