Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle Cutting Jig

Good Morning,

I am looking for some type of jig that will help me cut consistent-diameter circles. I seem to remember hearing of one on a diy show but can't find references to them now. Of if anyone has tips on how to cut circles in a consistent manner that would be great.

Lee.

There are circle cutting jigs and how to videos online for the bandsaw. There are also circle cutting jigs available for use with a router. I never had much success with the router jigs though but you can try them.
    Keith

Comment

Here's a circle cutter for a drill press from Grizzly.

G8964 Adjustable Circle Cutter
      Retired..... Most days!!
      PhD in grandkid spoiling
      Taking it as easy as I can in the Piedmont section of North Carolina

Comment

Lee

What size circles are you looking to make? The bandsaw is great for some but the router is also good it really depends on the size you want to make. Harbor freight also carries the ones for the drill press. The drill press ones work pretty well but always watch where you put your hands they do bite.
        Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

Check out this video for table saw circles YouTube - Cut a Circle on a Table Saw
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Their are accessories for circle cutting for dremels and routers and roto zip style machines.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have made a couple of circle cutters for scroll saws.
              One was an auxillary table with a slot in it. the slot has a sliding arm with a pin in it to have the wood pivot.
              Slide the arm out to the radius of the circul you want to cut.
              One thing I did find, was the direction you feed the wood made a difference.
              If I pivotted the wood in the wrong direction the aggressive cutting action of one side of the blade made the circle more of a spiral. Turning the wood in the opposite direction made perfect circles.
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Lee - I rough cut circles on my tablesaw pretty much in the same way as shown by the woodguy in the link that WD posted. To finish them off perfectly I then transfer to my router table where I have a plunge router installed. I fix the wheels on a pivot at the exact radius from the edge of the cutter that I'm looking to achieve and then plunge up into the wheel and spin it.

One word of warning here!. If you are looking to cut small diam wheels, say less than 3", I wouldn't recommend this method unless you have very good guards over your table saw blade and router cutter as you will be spinning the wheel too close to these for comfort. I also wear either rubber finger stalls or rubber tipped gloves when spinning the wheels in order to get a much better grip.
                Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi again Lee - I've been cutting some wheels today for a project I'm working on and found a couple of improvements to my techniques but before writing a load of speel about them can you tell us what size wheels are you wanting to cut and what equipment you have at your disposal please
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Good Morning All,

Thanks for all the suggestions, links, etc. I have the tools mentioned by the various posts (table saws, band saws, etc.) and will explore them all.

Comment

There's nothing better for cutting accurate circles than a router pivoting on a trammel bar.
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Many years ago Evelyn ask for a 30" round end table. I used my table saw to cut the circle out of a 36" round table blank that was 1-1/2" thick. It took some time to do (more then an hour) since you only raise the blade a 1/16" at a pass but it was worth the time the table came out really nice. I'm not sure that will be of any help to you or not, but it is a neat was to cut a circle.
                        sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
                        To all who serve or have served, Thank you
                        Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X