Ginkgo wood useful for carving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginkgo wood useful for carving?

Greetings from flatland Champaign, IL U.S.A.

As an arborist, I hate to throw away wood.

Recently was asked to remove 2 healthy female Ginkgo trees. 18' DBH 9 feet long, clear.

Have been gathering info about the wood; its suitability for use as lumber, carving, turning.

Any suggestions on size of lumber that would be useful for different projects. Currently we have about 500 board feet rough cut 5/4, as wide as 27' clear. Plus, we cut one piece 4 X 4, about 8 feet long.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Re: Ginkgo wood useful for carving?

Healthy female Ginkgo trees, I understand why someone would want them removed. Phew.......

As far as carving, wow! You can send me the 4x4!

I would suggest if you are planning on using it for any type of carving, you should shoot for 2 inch min. finished thickness.
    Width and length as the wood allows.

Might I add, you have the perfect day job for a carver.

Comment

Ginko wood

Ginko makes for great carvings as for spoons and ornaments. I have carved several lovespoons from Ginko and working on several other projects in Ginko..I had to travel about an
      hour away to get it. but it was free for the taking. Is considerably lighter than basswood. and sands,carves.finishes nicely..Here in my western Pa town they have an ordinance against cutting down ginko trees.. they would not know the difference from poplar.. ginko's trademark is the oriental fan shaped leaf..is a good sign you have found a ginko.. keep chipping away

Respectfully
      Sittingbill

Comment

I don't know if I have ever seen a 'gingko' and not known what I was looking at, but I sure have not heard of it! very interesting! Will have to do some checking and see if I can find one and whittle on it a bit!!

Comment

Comment

Ginko wood
            yes after I brought that truckload of wood home they ran an article about Ginko that was in October..so what ever issue falls after that..the fall issue or the winter issue..
            had to be winter of 2001

Sittingbill

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                Farmers market "survey"
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                Today, 11:14 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Farmers market
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                Today, 11:00 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                Today, 09:57 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Rolf
                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                I like the fact...
                Today, 08:34 AM
              • will8989
                Reply to Farmers market
                by will8989
                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                Today, 08:17 AM
              Working...
              X