drying maple wood for bowl carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drying maple wood for bowl carving

Since the hurricane supplied me with lots of material, I have decided that this is the time to take up 'bowl carving' but where do I find information on drying this Maple wood and what sort of sawing is needed to keep it from checking and cracking ?

Re: drying maple wood for bowl carving

Barbdoor, (sorry you didnt post your name)
    You might first start by cutting the logs in half this will elliminate some of the cracking. If you have ever looked at a log when it is dying you will see that the cracks always start from the middle of the log. This is because wood always drys from the inside out. If you want to carve bowls then you could have it kiln dried this will speed up the drying process and elliminate more of the checking. I have also had good luck by hollowing out the middle of the log. If you are going to carve the bowl over time put it into a garbage bag until you are ready to carve again. Once the bowl is finished seal it and apply the finish. My final tip is while it is dying place it on four dice this will allow the air to cirulate around the piece.
    I am not an expert but these are some of the things that have worked for me.
    Colin

Comment

Sorry this is so late, but if you want to turn from the whole cross section of the log, try that Pentacryl liquid treatment....it's supposed to eliminate the checking and splitting of green wood wen you work it. I've never tried it but have read quite a bit, and someday I will give the stuff a go. sounds like an interesting product.

Al

Comment

I've found that stripping the bark off and then waxing the ends does a pretty good job to stop checking. This way as the moisture leaves the wood, it goes through the sides and not the ends.

Comment

Randy is correct; with the bark left on and the ends waxed, it can take forever and a day to dry.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X