Bass Wood-source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Wood-source

Well it another quiet day here in Portland(to paraphrase Garrison Kellior's letters from Lake WoeBegone). Got to go by the Crosscut Hardwoods store here in Portland after work on saturday(1-10-04) and may I say they were real nice about not being rude about the drool...of course I wiped up as I went...LOL! Found my bass wood for making blanks...there was a big chunk in their garbage so I took it to the desk and said this was in your trash...how much? they said how about a buck? I said sold....I will be able to get 4-6 good sized blanks out of it. they stock bass wood in 3 inch and 4 inch thick slabs and will cut you off a chunk as long as they have a 6 foot piece left...pretty nice of them. They sell it by the board foot(BF) at $4.25 perBF so a 1 foot section of 3 inch will run around $12. They also sell bass wood as dimensional lumber also. I made out like a bandit. I did a few test cuts with my pocketknife and there is a world of difference between the poplar I am using for my first project and the bass wood. Well have a good day!
    "let the chips fly!"

Re: Bass Wood-source

Boy, sounds like you tripped in just at the right time!

Is what you call poplar aspen, or is it that eastern poplar (tulip) ? If it's aspen, don't give up on that wood.....if you find a decent piece it is really nice carving and holds detail well. I use mostly aspen (big tooth), but quaking is also a nice wood. They are both a mite harder than basswood, but really nice clear straight grained and like I said, holds detail really well. It tends to fuzz almost exactly like basswood, and finishes the same.

Al

Comment

Re: Bass Wood-source

Thanks for the information Chahlie. I know where I will get my next basswood. I just received an order out of Northern Minnesota, but the Postage kind of hurts. Will go across the river next time. Dick in Vancouver, Wa.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
        Bruce, the one on probation
        by will8989
        is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
        Today, 12:59 AM
      • will8989
        Sundays market
        by will8989
        When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
        Today, 12:46 AM
      • will8989
        Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
        by will8989
        I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
        Today, 12:27 AM
      • jim_mex
        Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
        by jim_mex
        Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
        Yesterday, 08:47 PM
      • KarlB
        Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
        by KarlB
        Very well done!

Karl
        Yesterday, 07:36 PM
      Working...
      X