Stack cutting plywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stack cutting plywood

I'm stack-cutting 4 pieces of 1/4 inch red oak plywood with Flying Dutchman FD-TC #5 blades, and I'm having a bit of trouble with the backs being fuzzy--hence my previous question about sanders. Sanding inside all the cuts is really a pain. Right now I'm using sandpaper wrapped around a popsicle stick This is my first attempt at stack cutting plywood so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. (I'm doing the lanterns on the front of this month's issue.) It's not just the bottom sheets; it is all four of them that have wood fibers hanging off of them around the cuts.

This wood is new to me so maybe it's just the wood, since I'm also having an amazing amount of tearing around the drill holes, which I did not have before. Any words of wisdom would be deeply appreciated, as always

I'm wondering if your boards are stacked tightly enough against each other. How have you fastened them together? And are you certain they're flat?

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

The only reason I can think of for all 4 to have tear out is as Gill said, the stack is just not tight enough. That being said, all Oak plywood is not created equally. The type of stuff that Home Depot or Lowes carries will tear out terribly no matter how cautious you are. The TC's will also contribute to tear-out as well as the reverse teeth are coming up through the boards in all areas. I haven't tried these on plywood myself for this reason (they are great for solid hardwoods though).
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

what I do to avoid the tear out from the drill bit is to use a "sacrificial board" underneath when I drill the holes, this seems to eliminate the tear out as I have not yet tried to stack cut I can't help much there. I Love working with oak as I think just about everyone here knows by now (As all my pieces have been cut from oak), and I haven't had this problem with it yet, but as I said I havn't tried to stack cut it yet. Wish I could be of more help.

Wayne
        You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus...Mark Twain

Comment

Ehh, my son did buy it for me at Lowe's; that might be the problem. I didn't spring for the best wood because I'm painting them.

I have them taped together with blue painter tape, because that's what I had handy . I didn't have any mineral spirits on hand for removing my new spray glue, (I'm moving up from the glue stick!) so I taped all the way around and glued the pattern on top. They are good and flat that way, but maybe they move too much up and down when I cut.

This blade worked well on the Baltic Birch I used for Christmas ornaments, but I'll try one without the reverse teeth on it and see if that helps. Thanks again!

Edit: My blade choices are from Mike's beginner's pack--FD-SR #3 and 5, FD-TC #5, PSR #5, Polar #5.
          Last edited by Magpie; 06-05-2006, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I'm big on using a few finishing nails inside a few internal frets. Make sure you blunt the tips if they make it thru your stack to avoid damage to the table top. I cut the nailed frets out last.

Good luck with your stack cutting! I stack cut pretty much everything - fills the house, garage, and shed up that much quicker!!!
            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Magpie,
              You secured the stack in the same manner as I always do so I feel safe in saying that's not your problem. You might want to give the PSR #5's a shot at it. FWIW, I typically stack about 5/8" (5 pieces of 1/8 material) and use a FD-SR #3 and have never had a problem with the reverse teeth coming up through the top of the boards. My first choice for your thickness would probably be the FD-SR #5 but the PSR's should work nearly as well.
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

The SR-5 did cut a lot smoother but it's a lot more aggressive and I couldn't do sharp corners like before, but the PSR was slower and cornered well for me, and also miraculously cured my inability to cut straight lines. I thought I was deficient and it was only the wrong blade choice--a good lesson for me! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie
                  Right now I'm using sandpaper wrapped around a popsicle stick Any words of wisdom would be deeply appreciated, as always
                  I don't have anything to add regarding material and blade selection, but I have found that emory boards work really well for removing those pesky burrs.
                  Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Magpie, there must be space between the layers if you are getting fuzzies on all the layers. I use the brad method and only get the fuzzies on the bottom one. Mick.
                    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Shrink wrap systems
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                      Today, 11:51 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Sundays market
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                      Today, 11:39 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to New tools
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                      Today, 11:36 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Interesting pallet
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                      Today, 11:32 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Interesting pallet
                      by NC Scroller
                      I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                      Today, 11:30 AM
                    Working...
                    X