Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just tried Flying Dutchman blades

Hi all,
    I got a sample of FD blades and I have to tell you I was suprised but what a difference!! It was like I was using a completely different saw, because they were sharper than what I had been using there was less vibration and the one blade I used lasted the entire project, which was the wedding plaque on page 58 of the summer 2006 SSW magazine, and I Cut it out of 1/2 solid red oak with now problems at all. Thanks MIke for the sample and I iwll be placing an order very soon for a gross of these wonderful blades. NOt an endorsement of any kind just my honest opinion on a blade that many on here brag about and now I see why.

Wayne
    You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus...Mark Twain

Wayne

I use nothing but FD blades, and with every order you place, Mike generally will send you a sample of something.

One thing I would like to say about FD blades, I find they need to be tensioned a second time. What I do is, before I start cutting my project I run the blade for several seconds this allows the spring to leave the blade. then I stop the saw and loosen the blade, reset it, and then reset the tension and you're good to go. I learned this at work when I was having a problem with a band saw blade.

Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

FD's are all I use.

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Once I started using FD I fell in love with them. I'm getting ready tom place an other order. Might not be until Fall .With 2 boys playing baseball the only night or day that I 'm not at the park is Sunday. I hope that everyone is safe and well. I miss reading what everone is doing.

Kevin
        When you hit rock bottom the only answer is to look up

Comment

As "Old Mooner" has said once before here we go again.
          Everybody has a favorite saw and blade and periodically the testimonials surface, so here is mine.

I have been scrolling for about 2 years +, and have a bunch of blades from just about every body that makes them, except Pegas (will try them soon)
          I use a 2/0 reverse blade for 99% of my work. I always come back to the Olson 2/0. After reading this thread I figured I would try the FD 2/0 again, I'll be dipped if I can follow a line with it, it cuts very fast, but I can't control it.
          So back to my trusty old Olson I can follow any line blindfollded( with a peep hole)
          The only FD I use is the New spiral 2/0.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

flying dutchman blades

I didnt know how spoiled on the fc blades that i was until i was using some other blade..

since christmas i was forced to rearrange my scrolling area, the saw and blades were seprated in different rooms.
            most recently i hav recieved a ss250 delta shopmaster scrollsaw from my brother, he had some olsun blades and sevral delta blades i used the saw with what it came with doing some compound cutting for carving charters and i couldnt toe on the line with the saw no matter how hard i fought it, it was like hearding pigs, or chasing marbles... i tried several different blades of my brothers selections but the only difference is one blade pulled faster to the right others pulled faster to the left. i was about to give up on the ss250 saw
            until i made the trip ti the other room for my fd blades..... now im happy again using my polor fd blades,,,, guess i better get back with mike and get another mixed gross.
            Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

As "Old Mooner" has said once before here we go again.
              Everybody has a favorite saw and blade and periodically the testimonials surface, so here is mine.
              Yep . . Old Mooner is so right in that statement . And yes it is true that some prefer one (or two) brands over another and my favorite ones after many years of production scrolling are Pegas for many reasons and here is just one of them.
              Pégas Scroll Saw Blades = Swiss Made Quality

Pégas use's a closely guarded fabricating process that produces crisp, sharp, precisely formed teeth, not found in other blades.
              I havn't been here for a while because I just got back from participating in a 8 day bluegrass music festival in Libby Montana. Had a wonderful time as usual pickin' and grinnin' and singin' morning noon and night . Wonderfull bunch of musicians there. About half and half Canadian and Americans and everyone gets along wonderfully from beginners to professionals. Free camping for the whole 8 days and we go to sleep to live music and wake up to live music every day we are there..

So now I am scanning through some sites and getting caught up with the latest developments.
              W.Y.
              http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Fd

Yep. I agree with Wayne FD are the best in my humble option. Also, Marsha, I do the same thing why I started I'll never know. But it dose seem to work very well.

That's my tupence.

-Bill
                -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

I normally don't get any blade bigger than a #5. My youngest son was going to cut out a 1" clock plane out. So I thought I'd better get something bigger. While at a lumber store I purchased #7 Olson's. Well, the Olson's twisted and wandered around. So, I just put in a Polar #5 FD blade and cut straight and true. I have not found a better blade than FD, but I'm not opposed to trying something new if it comes out.

Comment

Grizz try the PGT series from Olson.
                    Rolf

Comment

Better still Griz, try the Modified Geometry blades made by Pegas. They cut virtually straight in same as the PGT ones from Olson but will last longer and they have about the same width per number of blade as most other blades.
                      I only tried a few dozen of the Olson PGT's twice over the years and found they produced a wider kerf per # of blade and started burning the wood in a very short time. Since using the Pegas I find they last as long if not longer than any other blade I have used and have the advantages of the PGT's without the disadvantages.
                      Best to try all the brands and then decide which ones are best for your style of cutting.
                      I have yet to find anything I like as good as the Pegas Modified Geometry ones.
                      W.Y.

Comment

what the ....!

I've been doing just fine getting my cuts right on the line....
                        then I started reading this post about you guys not being able to cut a straight line with such and such blade...

in the last hour, I haven't been able to cut one straight line at all!

Trout
                        Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
                        Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

Well there ya go Trout . . all that reading is making you cross eyed .
                          Rots a ruck getting back on the line again . .Hee Hee.
                          practice.. . . practice. . . practice...
                          W.Y.

Comment

I was just thinking (always a scary thing) Has anyone ever put a stone against the side of a blade to take the burr off? Just for kicks I will give it a try when I get home. Not normally an issue for me because I try to use only blades that work well for ME.
                            Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf
                              I was just thinking (always a scary thing) Has anyone ever put a stone against the side of a blade to take the burr off? Just for kicks I will give it a try when I get home. Not normally an issue for me because I try to use only blades that work well for ME.
                              I have tried that. I read it somewhere as a way to reduce drift. It did track straighter, but was noticably duller. I may have over done it.

BTW, long as I am posting to this thread. I have not tried all that many different blades, but I do have several FD blades and they are superior to the garden variety ones I got at the hardware store and on eBay. I suspect there are other good ones out there also. FD blades are good quality.
                              -Andy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Today, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X