Aluminum saw table reconditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum saw table reconditioning

Well, I got my saw today, a two year old 20" Hawk. Very good condition overall, but the table has some circular scratches in it and feels pretty rough.

So would wet sanding be the way to bring it back? Any recommendations on grits? Do I have to go reclaim my orbital sander from my neighbor, or will a rubber block do?

Pete

YES, go reclain your sander from the neighbor, before he thinks its his! Then, Id put that away, and use a little MS (mineral spirits), and some 400 or 600 grit paper and wet sand it with the paper wrapped around a wooden block, in a circular motion. Go finer if you want it real shiny. Then, clean it off really goodly, and give her a good coat of Johnsons Paste Wax (yella and red can , in the cleaning, floor waxing dept of the store). Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

The sander was a bit of a joke. Actually, the NDN's son clipped a saber saw and it disappeared permanently, to Kentucky I think, BUT I am a little unsure about the whereabouts of my sander, too.

Sounds good, Dale, that's exactly what I'll do.

Pete

Comment

I agree with Dale on using a wooden block you want to keep the table flat. I would also suggest that you cover the the mechanical bits so that you dont get any grit into any of the bearings. The mineral spirits and fine 400-600 grit will penetrate and potentialy trash your bearings.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Rolf, and I think I'll take the table off for the exercise.

Using the suggestions I've received from you and Dale, the table should turn out very nicely. I would have NEVER thought of using mineral spirits myself, but it will lubricate and clean. This is a great forum.

Pete

Comment

Yes it is a great forum with a lot of very talented people.
            Taking the table off is a great idea, I was going to suggest that but if it is like the table on my RBI G4 it isn't very heavy and you may have to do some creative clamping to hold it. One of the guy's in our scroll club just sanded his and it looks like new.
            Rolf

Comment

Hi All,
              Just read these posts about cleaning the table on your scroll saw,
              does the paste wax not affect the piece your cutting? Can you still stain and will the paste wax come off the wood with a bit of sanding? I have only used mineral spirits to clean my saw, I've never used the paste wax.
              Thanks
              Marsha
              LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Marsha, have been using Johnson's paste wax on my saw table for 14 years and have never had a problem with it contaminating the wood. Don't use car wax which contains silicone as this will contaminate your wood. I apply it with a paper towel or an old cloth then buff it with another soft cotton cloth. I use an old wash cloth. I do this every 2 or 3 months. Makes for a nice slippery table. Mick P-20
                Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Evie and Marsha,
                  I don't know if it was my suggestion you're thinking of, but I suggested that you use a crumpled piece of waxed paper to slick up the table every once and a while. It works very well, there is no detectable build-up, and it is cheap, cheap, cheap! That's all I use on my Hawk, but I haven't done anything big where sliding really easily might be a bigger concern. Mostly, I didn't want it to slide around too easily - I'm always thinking it might be like one of those Oija boards (Evie, help me spell this!) - moving under its own volition if I got it too slippery.
                  Sandy

Comment

I use...

Table-Top lubricant by Empire...
                    it comes in a spray bottle, it cost me $14.99 and I think I used it once....
                    maybe it's time I give it another coat ....

Trout
                    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
                    Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

Never had anything but good from using the johnsons paste wax. Theres no silicone in it, and you will be amazed how the wood will glide on that 788 table Marsha. You will wonder why you havent done it long ago! Also, do your bandsaw table, tablesaw, drill press, every surface susseptible to rust! Dale
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I have always used a product called topcoat or something like that, it is in a spray can. I use it to protect all of my cast iron bits in the basement. It is very slick on my Tablesaw and really works great for rut protection. I used it on my Hawk yesterday and felt that the table was NOT so slick. So based on what I read here I put some paste wax on it, WOW what a difference.
                        That is why forums like this are such great places.
                        Rolf

Comment

Fortunately, I've never had problems with the surface of my table. If I was to, I think I'd be tempted to stick a piece of acrylic over the top. That should be smooth enough to allow the workpieces to slide over it and stable enough to provide a square surface. Like Marsha, I'd be worried about paste wax contaminating my work, even if others here would regard those worries as unfounded.

Gill
                          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I also use johnsons paste wax and never had any problems . Bought the last can from the hardware here and am told it is no longer available in Canada.
                            Smitty
                            Dewalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                              Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by will8989
                              Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                              Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by will8989
                              Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                              Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                              Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Sundays market
                              by will8989
                              We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                              Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                            Working...
                            X