Dust collection, again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collection, again!

I'll be using my saw in the house, but doing sanding in the garage where dust won't especially matter. I'm buying a used 20" Hawk (should get it next week!) that has a dust collection port, which will take care of the underside. So, the big challenge will be collecting from the table surface and either keeping fine particles out of the air, or filtering them out later.

So how about this collector on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-HP-RAND-Dust-C...QQcmdZViewItem

I was thinking it could be hooked up to the port, and have a PVC collection pipe on the tabletop something like here:

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]

The scroll saw will be the ONLY device hooked up. So what do you guys think? Too much, too little, or do something else?

Noise is a big consideration, BTW.

Thanks,

Pete
    Last edited by PeteB; 05-29-2006, 09:38 AM.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for sharing that link: I LIKE!!!

That being said: The DC you are considering will definitely be enough for your scrollsaw (overkill is close) the things to consider are the following:

- The price is unbeatable (for sure, but how much is shipping?)
    - Noise unknown (db rating unavailable) but expect about 65 - 80 db
    - 650 CFM if nothing else running at the same time AND if the ductwork is short (if it's in the same room) it is plenty
    - upper felt 5 micron bag: Hopefully it's 5 micron empty and 1 micron with dust buildup, or you need to change to 1 micron = about $50.00CDN it's the small stuff that is murder on the lungs and ends up covering the furniture
    - lower felt bag: change to plastic. about $1.00CDN each: no dust through the plastic, easier to clean (just change bag) no breathing dust while transferring from felt to plastic garbage bag= no mess.

It may be worth your while to check out other brands locally, but overall it sounds like a very good deal.

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Thanks for your comments, Marcel, and I'm glad that it doesn't seem ridiculous to have this big unit for a single machine.

The alternative, for at least the same money, would be to use a cabinet fan and filter ($25), vac around the saw frequently, and use an air purifier ($125?) to cycle the air in the room.

If the AC system will do the job without any additional room filtration, it looks like a winner. I'm thinking that an open duct over the table will filter the room air as well as pick up dust from cutting. Not very efficiently, maybe, but hopefully enough.

Good point about the bags, too!

If no one has any major objections, I think I'm going to buy that sucker.

All the best,

Pete

Comment

Buy that sucker! If you find it doesnt suit your needs, you can move it to the garage, where you will eventually have your jointer, planer, and all your bigger toys. I would say its overkill for a scrollsaw, and with noise being a concern,dont expect that to be a silent suckerator. You WILL definatly hear it running. Dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

LOL on the future tools, Dale, you are probably right.

My saw is going into my home office space, which is about 12' X 20' or so. I'll have desk, computer, file cabinets, etc. at one end of the room and puzzle-making stuff at the other. It's right off the living room, so noise/dust control will be imperative to good relations with SWMBO (she who must be obeyed).

Maybe if the suckerator is too powerful I can tone it down with a rheostat. Anyone know offhand if slowing down a blower motor is likely to damage it?

Pete

Comment

Im not sure, I never heard of anyone doing that. It wont be too powerful to where it will suck you off the stool, but the noise, and to silence the noise, would mean slowing down the suction. I dont think if you slowed down its speed enough to make SWMBO put the cast iron frypan back without cracking you in the noggin, that it would suck enough. Now that sucks! If its the only tool your using it on, any chance of locking the DC in a closet, or even in your basement, and PVC ducting it through the floor?Or out in the garage and through the wall? Dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hmm, well, 650 cfm is a lot, especially if the pipes are only going to be 4-5 long.

I dunno, I guess I'll wait and see how noisy it is, and whether it changes the part in my hair. If someone outbids me I'll take it as a sign.

Pete

Comment

its still a good deal though.
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Pete,
                  I have a 20" hawk, and I use it in the house much of the time. About 85% of the dust will be collected below - it really doesn't make much. A bandsaw makes a lot more or almost any kind of sander.
                  So if you don't win the auction, try your fan and filter - I think SWMBO may be pleasantly surprised at the dustless condition.
                  Of course, if you do win the auction - go for it. They are awfully noisy, though - so any kind of barrier is good - Dale's suggestions are great - a closet or the next room or even in the basement. Your Hawk itself is surprisingly quiet - at least mine is.
                  Good luck, whichever route you take.
                  Sandy

Comment

Pete,

When you said noise was a concern I thought you meant for the neighbours, not your wife in the living room watching TV.

If you do not have a closing door, she will definitely be pi**ed at you ion the not too far future. Those things are still somewhat noisy. And a rheostat is not an option, you'd probably burn the motor.

Have you considered using a toilet fan? Adapted to a filter and collecting box it probably would be the best solution for you. You can probably buy them used in garage sales for about 5-10$ or new for under 100$ (And that is for the ultra-quiet high end model)
                    Remove dots for rough diagram, had to put them there or forum software removed all spaces (no ASCII art on this site)
                    ............._______
                    Filter--> /.....|....| <-- Motor <-- Inlet
                    Exhaust / .....|....|
                    ........../........|__|
                    .........|.............|
                    Box-->|..... Dust |
                    .........|.............|
                    .........|________|

Just a thought,
                    Marcel

Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 05-30-2006, 07:17 AM.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Nuts, it looks like I'm likely to buy this thing. Well, I have a door I can close, but for ventilation it's best to leave it open. I suppose I could use a fan at night or when American Idol is on.

The seller claims that the unit is quieter than 'most' shop vacs, but he could make that claim for a 85 Db noise level, I guess. Looks like I'll have to wait and see how bad it is, and go from there.

One thought I've had, based on Dale's suggestion of a closet, is to build a box out of 3/4" MDF, with three sides closed and overlapping slats on an away-facing fourth side to baffle the noise somewhat and let the air out.

I've been doing some more research about dust collectors and have learned that this is a smallish unit even for a small home shop. Capacitywise, with a split for collection at the top and bottom of the saw, it ought to be about right. So the only issue looks to be noise.

Thanks for the input, folks! I'll let you know how it goes.

Pete

Comment

Good Idea

Pete,

Very good idea, but it doesn't have to be 3/4" MDF, get 1/8" ply (or whatever is cheapest in your neck of the woods) and get a sheet of noise insulation: it's a fibrous material about 1" thick made specifically to soundproof. The one I had purchased was green. (The black "tentest"(S?) fiber sheets used in construction on outside of house could possibly also work)

BUT be advised: cut that soundproofing stuff to size outside, it makes a real mess (DAMHIK)

You can cut it with a "Olfa" or utility knife, or saw, and adhere it to the ply with spray glue (like 3M77)

Good luck, and keep us appraised of the results with whatever solution you choose.

regards,
                        Marcel

Comment

Another great suggestion, thanks.

Pete

Comment

Just another thought Pete. You Could sound proof the whole room, the door and all , and then not only wifie. could have privatcy, so could you. just a thought. your friend Evie.

Comment

Sounds pretty good, Evie...

Me in my private sanctuary and her in the house with five kids!

Pete

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Today, 09:31 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by will8989
                                Beautiful!...
                                Today, 09:19 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by will8989
                                Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
                                Today, 09:09 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                                ingers crossed
                                Today, 07:35 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                                Today, 05:39 PM
                              Working...
                              X