Peach Seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peach Seeds

My Uncle Dutch carved peach seeds or peach stones as he called them for years. His favorite was a Monkey holding its tail. He gave them to eveyone. They make nice keychain ornaments and zipper pullers. The peach seed has to be just right to carve it and they are very hard and hard to hold. I've carved many of them and given them to my friends and relatives. I just really never thought of them as being 'carvings'. Try one and see how you do. Or maybe you've already carved a few already? It's a lot of fun .
    Have fun with your food, eat with your fingers!

Re: Peach Seeds

I have seen some wonderful examples of this craft done in peach pits, cherry pits, and even pin cherry pits. My own attempts were not so good. Fruit pits are very hard and brittle and your knives must be EXTRA sharp.

Bob Shamey does incredible carvings in this medium.
    http://www.shamey.com/pit/pit.htm

And don't forget to check out his toothpick carvings!!
    http://www.shamey.com/tooth/tooth.htm

Comment

Wow, those toothpicks are something else!
      My Site Missouri Ozarks

Comment

I tried it after reding about it in one of Tangermans books. Gave up. Tried ones I picked up under the peach tree that were already dry. Maybe I ought to try again with fresh ones?

Comment

Tangerman's 'Whittling And Woodcarving' was where I first saw it. It was also the book that taught me ball-in-cage, chains, fans, and the indian stick puzzle.

Comment

All that beautiful wood in the world and ya'll are wanting to carve PEACH PITS? Good Grief! :

Comment

I'm with the Captain, it's a good way to cut yourself.

Comment

And that would be the 'pits' :P

Comment

This threads getting a little seedy.

Comment

Hi All,

Very interesting toothpick carvings and fruit pit carvings...but I gotta agree with Capt. Bandaid and Rick-in-Seattle. If the Good Lord didn't like 2x4's and such why did he make so many for us to work with and on? I can not express anything but praise and amazement for Bob Shamey's incrediblely detailed work, but I dont think I would have the patience to carve anything where I couldn't atleast see the chips/shavings I was removing...LOL!
                    "let the chips fly!"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X